+ Reply to Thread

Smile How do you keep weeds growing under trees in the backyard with several trees

Can somebody provide suggestions as how to keep weeds from growing under the big trees. I know I can kill using chemicals but it would harm the tree. I have about 8000 sq ft to cover. Any suggestions including landscape would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: How do you keep weeds growing under trees in the backyard with several trees

Mulch. No deeper than 4" Any kind will do.

Default Re: How do you keep weeds growing under trees in the backyard with several trees

a thick well nurished and irrigated healthy shade tolerant lawn properly maintained with adequate drainage will crowd out most weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    a thick well nurished and irrigated healthy shade tolerant lawn properly maintained with adequate drainage will crowd out most weeds.
    ...but will also compete with the trees for nutrients and water.

Plant densely shade tolerant ground covers. The closer you set the plants together the less chance the weeds have. There is also a biodegradable weed blocker you could put down, then cut Xs to set in new plants. Don't use the black plastic? landscape weed barrier stuff, past experience. Yes, mulch, mulch.