+ Reply to Thread

Default protecting exterior wood

this summer my son and I scrapped off all the paint on two sides of our 100+ year old house. It is now October and we are still in the process of sanding and repairing the siding prior to painting. All good but it's October and while we probably will get a few more good days of painting I was wondering if putting on a water-repellent preservative as mentioned in Brad Lernley's article "A Pro Confides His Best Tips for Painting Exteriors" would be best at this point and prime / paint next season ?? your advise would be much appreciated, Thanks !!!

Default Re: protecting exterior wood

MRC,

My concern is that wood preservatives which repell water will also repell water soluble paints. Make sure that what ever you use does not contain silicons. If you decide to go ahead and prime, you must continue on and prime as primers deteriorate within a period of weeks. You might decide to go ahead and finish coat the siding. There are many paints on the market now which allow using them down to just above freezing. Behrs' new Ultra line is one of these. Ultra is also self-priming. You still need to hit the siding twice, but it is done twice with the finish coat, not with a dedicated primer and finish coat.It also is useable down to just above freezing. However, if you use these paints, I would give as much drying time as possible, i.e. don't work late in the afternoon.

uups: should have read "If you you decide to go ahead and prime, you must continue on and PAINT...."

You want to protect the bare wood over the winter months so wood damage won't occur. Use an oil based stain blocking primer. Sherwin Williams makes a good one. Latex paint will bond to the oil primer well next spring and block any bleed through from the tannic acid in the wood. Also caulk the butt joints, end joints at the corners and around the windows and doors to keep water and cold air out. Don't caulk under the lap siding but be sure all of the boards are nailed down tight.