+ Reply to Thread

Default Update: American Standard toilet flush valve problem solved

I bought this toilet about three years ago when I rehab'd the master bath. I think it was a Cadet 3 model, the model ended in 3 and it is a 1.6 gpf. Works great but, once when it was new, the flush valve leaked. I fixed it then but lately it is doing it again. The flush valve is not a typical flapper valve, it looks like a short plastic baseball bat, blunt end down with a thin silicone seal that looks like a miniskirt a couple of inches from the bottom. The seal keeps coming out of the groove it mounts in.

I have not seen this design in the new Cadet 3 or any other American Standard toilets and cannot find parts. I wonder if there is a conversion kit to the current flapper style flush valve. Is there a recall on this toilet? Do you think superglue might keep the seal in place?
    Last edited by keith3267; 04-06-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Update

Default Update: American Standard toilet flush valve problem

I contacted American Standard through their website. They responded with a request for the model number which I replied with all the information I could find, and I sent them a couple of pictures. They determined that mine is a Champion model with an old style flapper. They are sending me an updated flapper valve.

This is what I would call good customer service. I need to replace one more toilet and you can guess what brand I will be getting.
    Last edited by keith3267; 04-06-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Change some wording, clarify

Default Re: Update: American Standard toilet flush valve problem

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    This is what I would call good customer service. I need to replace one more toilet and you can guess what brand I will be getting.
    Kohler?

Nothing like great customer service, eh? My construction career revolved around suppliers that were honest and did the best they could to accommodate my needs. My post construction life is fraught with dealing with manufacturers that don't want to return emails or forward me on to the person or people who can get what I need done. The few that have been good have been wonderful! If you're ever in the market for a vacuum cleaner, I can tell you the companies that care about more than just making a sale.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: American Standard toilet flush valve problem

You usually can tell if the company really cares about their customers by their support staff.