+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Funding for historic building preservation

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Nooo !!! ..... say it isn't so.

btw ... $14.99 CND = $5.00 USD
    Price change....... $114.99 CND........ lol.

Denver...somewhat of a decent city. Too bad you live there. there is a lot of you do not know. That I volunteer at a local organization, that I and my company donate $$$ to several every year. I am actually involved in the community, but I do not need to brag about it. What do you do to help your community?

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Price change....... $114.99 CND........ lol.
    Arrrgh ..... now I'll have to sell all my Potter books
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
    Denver...somewhat of a decent city. Too bad you live there. there is a lot of you do not know. That I volunteer at a local organization, that I and my company donate $$$ to several every year. I am actually involved in the community, but I do not need to brag about it. What do you do to help your community?
    Is this a joke?

Donated to the Koman race for the cure. Habitat for humanity and private to missions at a local church. As well as finding a certain person housing under my dime.

What have you done?
    Last edited by kentvw; 10-15-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Here's a copy and paste from a PM from the "zengirl" to me... I xx out the ex's.

"I DO NOT KNOW WHO THE %%%% YOU THINK YOU ARE BUT ENOUGH WITH GOVERNMENT PREACHINGS AND GET THE ^^^^ OUT OF MY POSTING. I ASKED A LEGIMITATE QUESTION AND YOU HAVE TO RUIN IT WITH ALL YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS AND NOTHING YOU HAVE SAID ACTUALLY RELATES TO THE TOPIC. JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS, YOU FEEL THE NEED TO STEP IN AND BE RUDE ABOUT IT. IF THE GOVERNMENT HANDED YOU $50,000 AND TOLD YOU TO SPEND IT, WOULD YOU GIVE IT BACK AND SAY YOU DID NOT DESERVE IT? NO, YOU WOULD NOT. YOU WOULD TAKE THE MONEY. I WISH I COULD MEET YOU IN PERSON BECAUSE I HAVE LOTS TO SAY THAT CANNOT BE SAID ******. I WILL NOT SIT AND TAKE ANOTHER COMMENT FROM YOU AND HOPEFULLY SOON YOU'LL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED TO POST ANY COMMENTS.IF YOU POST ANY PART OF THIS MESSAGE, MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE ALL OF IT!

ZENGIRL

All incuded............ With only a couple mods for the kids.

Just for the record: I would not take a dime from the "government" Those dollars are from people like me who work for it.

I have not been rude......... Just stuck to facts.

"Something for nothing, get your kicks for free."

Those goverment hand outs come out of my pocket.

It's always nice to make new friends, especially large corporation owners with such a command of the English language.
    Jack

PS
    zengirl it's not your posting it is a posting on an open forum subject to answers from other members. If you don't like or disagree with a response I would suggest you ignore it rather than trying so hard to fan the flame. A successful large corporation owner should have better people skills. Name calling, character assassination, and insults about where someone is from should have been outgrown in about the third grade.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Ah, you want other tax payers to pay your bills for your gratification?
    Have you been successful at finding funding to restore your historic commercial building? I'm having an extremely hard time at it. My Mom is the founder of the Isaac Murphy Award. We own an old bar/cafe rich with our Derby history. We've hosted events featuring Whoopi ****berg, Pat Day, Morgan Friedman,BB King and Tramaine Hawkins concerts, essay and art contests and carnivals etc...etc... But you have not been able to get support. We have suffered damages from the recent storms we've had, hurricane Ike recession, wind and ice storms, buteven though we were a declared disaster area, we were unable to get funds to help repair. However, other larger businesses did and always have been able to get funding. Did you have any luck?
    Last edited by edveta; 07-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Funding for historic building preservation

Hi zengirl. I can see your point about lifting the property values for your area. However, the objection voiced in this forum has to do with misguided altruism. It is not altruism if the value benefit is only for the do-er. Money is the value. Who's money is the problem. My home is a bit older and began as a store. Was converted to apts in the 1920s. I'm trying to make it a single home with one other small apt. It needs windows, a new furnace, new steps (with our snow bldgs need to be well above grade) kitchen, plumbing, golly I won't write more because it is depressing. I did have the foundation fixed, raising the back cantilevered 1/3rd of house that had fallen 8", with cement block piers. The cracked and falling plaster off the lathe needed wallboard on 2 1/2 walls, so that is fixed. Then I had one bathroom fixed at twice the cost because up here they want money for not good work (ruined my castiron bathtub by taking a whack at the finish with, I suppose, a wrecking bar while standing in an unprotected tub with work boots on, and leaving me with a tub drain that floods the basement if I take a shower. Can't take a bath because there is no longer a stopper to hold water for bath until time to let water out to flood basement). So now I have no money for other needed projects. My street has really nice victorian and craftsman style homes ... And my home. It may be historic. Some big wig from a mining company may have shopped here at turn of last century. I have started to improve the kitchen. Took several days to rip up a 3 ft sq of foam backed, glued down carpet, exposing 40s industrial looking linoleum (I hope) tiles in front of a section of cupboard I will be cutting out to install a corner cupboard. When I finish that I will rip up more carpet and install a 12" cupboard on one side. When I can afford a plumber I will get a sink cabinet and sink. That's all I have room for. Other counter area will be a small moveable island like thing. Right now a wheeled wringer washer with a board on top is my island and its a tad too large for the space. Eventually I will get upper cabinets and wallboard to replace the beaverboard walls above the real tongue and groove wainscotting walls I will preserve. My cupboards are just a face frame with doors, and cleats on wall that boards rest on. Very grungy. At the rate my health allows I think the kitchen has hope of completion in about 5 + yrs. Then maybe I can afford a furnace, siding, windows, etc. Probably a 25+ year project I won't live to see the end of. Am I in line for taxpayer money to make this house more functional? I think not. Will I live here forever? Probably. Will it make the street more attractive? You betcha. Is it an asset to the community to fix it up? OF COURSE. I feel bad my neighbors view me when my view of them is so nice. Should I ask them to contribute to my restoration plan? Of course not. They will have to take the long view that it won't happen overnight or in a year or 10. So that is my advice to you. You must have enough money to restore your bldg Over Time with a business of your own, so do it as you can afford. One piece at a time. The community has seen it a wreck for 30 yrs, they can see it improve over the next 30. Then when you die and the property is sold by your relatives they will receive the money and not owe us other taxpayers with historic houses anything. Your other option is to sit down and write a best seller about the historic significance of your bldg that will pay for the restoration. The cover can be the statue you spoke of. Brendt did that with his Charleston book. Want to see a pic of my carpet rip section in kitchen?

Check to see if you have a historic body in your local city / county government is a good place to start. From there, contact your state historic preservation office and finally the national preservation entities. There are special loan and grant programs out there. Hard to get these days, but they do exist if even in the form of some sort of tax credits.