+ Reply to Thread

Default Suggestions for Patio Cover

I am looking to put a lattice patio cover over our patio. I would like some help from you all. Here is a simple idea of what I have in mind:

Of course, on top of C's, I will have the lattice mounted. I am looking at using the colored vinyl/plastic lattice.

Is it ok to attach the posts (A) in the ground using like the round concrete forms (or just a hole and some concrete) and some of these? How deep should I put the concrete? Or should I attach the posts to the patio somehow?

What should I use for post A? Is there something besides wood that can hold up to the weather better? Like an aluminum or vinyl 4x4 post? or should I just use the normal 4x4 weather treated post?

What should I use for the long cross pieces (B)? Should they be 2x6 or 2x4? Like above, any ideas besides wood?

What should I use for the short cross pieces (C)? Should they be 2x4 or 2x2? Like above, any ideas besides wood?

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Re: Suggestions for Patio Cover

Howdy B needs to bee way beefier then 2by 4 or6 more like 2by 10". Consider going to the help desk at lumbar center they can assist you with the framing sizing. The size and dept of cement piers depends on your local building codes and frost level. So consider a permit and the building dept can assist you too....

I was hoping not to get that complicated, lol.

Thanks,
    Brian

Depending on how you orient the structure, the "rafters", if deep, like 2x10's, will give all the shade you need at most times. That's the case on this one I built 3 years ago. retractable shade cloth is a also a good option for total eclipse.

S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Has anyone tried any of the DIY patio kits from like Alumiwood? or something similar? I was thinking of doing something like those companies but without buying a kit, hence the reasoning for asking about other materials besides wood.

Thanks

Howdy fellers,

Sombreuil_mongrel great the photo just shows so much. An very nice job.

Brian, When you attach the framing to the house consider using GRK RSS fasteners instead of lag bolts. I mention this as after viewing GRKs video and specifications, i am impressed and will have much safer structures. Seems just about any hardware store has these fasteners here in OR. Might also view Simpson Strong ties video about deck building and i was amazed how it shows one collapsing. Best of building out comes to you both.