Default Desparately Seeking Solution

We moved into a 4 year old home in Florida. The water from all faucets is fine except in the master bathroom, which has two separate sinks. The water from those two sinks has a sour or sulpher odor. We replaced the screen filter for the faucet fixture and cleaned as far up the spout as we could, but the odor remains.

Moen, the manufacturer, told us the rubber hoses inside the water lines has deteriorated. Before we start replacing the water lines, thought I'd ask if anyone has heard of this problem. It seems strange that both sinks would have water lines with rubber hoses which have deteriorated in only 4 years.

Thanks so much for any advice anyone has.

Default Re: Desparately Seeking Solution

Could actually be any number of things...if you can provide the following, it will help narrow things down.

Do you have city or well water? Do you know where these sinks are in relation to where the main water pipe enters the house? Do you know what type of pipe you have?

Thanks. I'll check with my husband on the answers I don't have. I know we are on city water and the pipes I assume must be copper, as it's a fairly new home at 4 years old, but I'll ask my husband.

Smile Re: Desparately Seeking Solution

Hello - thanks for any leads you might have.

The main water pipe is on the opposite end of the house from these two particular sinks. My husband said the pipe entering the house from the outside is plastic, but he'll check the pipes inside after he returns home from work.

Thanks again.

Lately, to water the plants or yard I have hard time using the water outlets. When I open the outlet, it makes huge vibrating sound (so scary) and goes away when I open the outlet completely. again happens when I shut down. Please help.

The hoses that are the problem could be the ones from the shut-off valves to the faucet or they could be the clear hoses that connect the hot and cold handles to the spout. I do know the water in Florida tends to be harsher than in some other areas of the country, so that naturally lends itself to quicker wear and tear on the parts - plus if the home sat empty & the lines had water in them, it would cause the water to become stagnant... If the hoses on the faucet are the cause you will likely be able to see a discoloration in the hose, perhaps more-so on the hot than the cold.

Smile Re: Desparately Seeking Solution

Thanks so much for your input. Hopefully my husband will have time to check out the hoses. The lines were never filled with stagnant water as we moved in right after the previous owners moved out. I'll pass on your suggestions to my husband.

I also have the same concern as you do, odor coming from the faucets;I have to let them run for 20 seconds to clear it away. Mine started with one sink in one bathroom, then added the kitchen after a few weeks, then another bathroom and then another, first it was only cold water now it is both hot and cold. I have asked everywhere and I was told to use bleach in the overflow tube of the water softener, it did not work. The water smells like old water setting in a garden hose. I have all braided cables hooked to copper pipes. If you get a fix I would appreciate an email and I will do the same. Thanks.KINGofOMAHA.
    dragonlady@huntel.net

Quote Originally Posted by sg747 View Post
    Lately, to water the plants or yard I have hard time using the water outlets. When I open the outlet, it makes huge vibrating sound (so scary) and goes away when I open the outlet completely. again happens when I shut down. Please help.
    It sounds like you have a loose or deteriorating washer in the spigot. Suggest you shut off the water, pull the stem, and replace the washer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb