+ Reply to Thread

Default story and 1/2 to 2 story....

Need some advice about where to start with this project.
    I have a 100 year old story and a half home. I have to tear off the roof this summer and do a complete re sheet, as it has 4 layers of asphalt and a layer of wood shake under that, with no ridgevents or fans. This house does not breathe.

I was thinking of raising the trusses up and making the half a full second story, because I already have such a big undertaking with the roof anyways....

The stairs will need relocated because it is accessable from a bedroom now.
    Also I think the fondation needs looked at to make sure it can support the weight of a full second story. But since it is a story in a half I wouldnt see why it wouldnt suppot a extra 4 feet up all the way around. Not to mention all the weight removed from 5 roofs...

So where do I start? Do I contact a architect, or a engineer?
    Alo I am assuming that the structural support for this house is the chimney running from the basement to the above the roof in the middle of the house, what will need to be done to extend this?

Any help would be great. Thank you

Default Re: story and 1/2 to 2 story....

Start with a local architect who can guide you to the local professionals he likes to work with. A structural engineer will be the second stop. Depending on your wishes and what the architect draws, the engineer will tell you if that design will work.

Quote Originally Posted by p.brandenjones View Post
    Need some advice about where to start with this project.
    I have a 100 year old story and a half home. I have to tear off the roof this summer and do a complete re sheet, as it has 4 layers of asphalt and a layer of wood shake under that, with no ridgevents or fans. This house does not breathe.

I was thinking of raising the trusses up and making the half a full second story, because I already have such a big undertaking with the roof anyways....
    Yep...... contact a architect.
    Im bettin your roof has hand cut conventional rafters and not engineered trusses.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Yep...... contact a architect.
    Im bettin your roof has hand cut conventional rafters and not engineered trusses.
    Ditto.

There is another option -- if you have a decent knowledge of sturctural construction --- you could draw your plan take them to a drafts person to draw up -- take those drawings to a structural engineer to evaluate and make changes as needed --- get their stamp ( must have ) and submit to the building department for your permit application. This may or may not save money--- though having an architect do all the work is a one stop shop.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush