+ Reply to Thread

Default Preparation to paint factory-painted cabinets?

I have 25 yr.old factory painted cabinets that are in excellent condition, just sick of the old "fleshy" colored pickeled look and want to update them. The finish is a hard laquered wiped-on paint look. I have heard it is difficult to get a good lasting paint cover that will stick good to the old finish. Is there a treatment besides stripping that will allow a good primer to stick to this surface?

Default Re: Preparation to paint factory-painted cabinets?

You could use sand paper and lightly scratch the surface of the old finish. They also make what's called a "de-glosser" and it's sold on the shelves of Home Depot. You just paint it on. You might use two coats to make sure the surface is going to provide a good bond for the new paint.

Good Luck.

Default Re: Preparation to paint factory-painted cabinets?

I painted my 1950s era cabinets last year. They had the original varnish finish. I used TSP from a home improvement store. I sanded first just to be on the safe side then used TSP. I did not have much luck with the de-gloss. Used it in my diningroom along with sanding, priming and painting. The paint peeled when I was washing the wall. So i had to start all over. What a pain! I do not recommend de-gloss at all. I used oil based bm paint. I love how my cabinets turned out.
    Good luck with your project.