+ Reply to Thread

Default Restoring the Ceiling Height...yes or no

I have a Colonial Revival home that was built in 1908. The previous owners at some point had the ceilings brought down from the original 11 foot to 8 foot ceilings. I imagine this was probably done when the HVAC system was put in, even though it would not require lowered ceiling as our roof pitch is steep and the attic area is almost as spacious as our main floor. There is also an attic fan in one of our ceilings (pre-HVAC solution?). Frankly I have no idea why it was done. The original 11 foot framing is still present as well.
    Regardless, we are trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to raise the ceilings back to their original height. Cost vs. value.
    Would this be really expensive?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Restoring the Ceiling Height...yes or no

If it were me, I would. I prefer the higher ceilings and don't think that lowering the ceilings cut heating and AC costs by that much. As far as costs go, it depends on how it was done, what is above the suspended ceiling, and the amount of damage cased by it's installation. I think most people interested in older homes would prefer the original ceiling height, so it would make it more marketable in my opinion.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have to agree with Jack. I much prefer a higher ceiling, especially if the house was designed that way.
    You might find some crown molding or plaster coves up there that should add to the value of a resale. You could also find a lot of damaged plaster that may not be cheap to fix.

Thanks for taking the time to respond And I'm glad to know it would be a good choice.
    In response though, I really wish it was just a drop ceiling. It seems the PO tore out all the original walls and re-framed the entire house at for 8ft, then installed drywall on top of the ship lap and added sheet rock ceilings. They even went as far as lowering the 6 foot windows to fit in the new, lowered ceilings. Our neighbor confirms that we could probably locate the original window settings behind the hardy board that was placed over our original siding.
    Such a mess, but hopefully we can get it back to the way it was!

Quote Originally Posted by adkates View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to respond They even went as far as lowering the 6 foot windows to fit in the new, lowered ceilings.
    I was wondering about the windows. It's a shame a chop job like that was done.

Ya, it really is a shame. But hopefully it won't be crazy expensive to fix :P

Quote Originally Posted by adkates View Post
    Ya, it really is a shame. But hopefully it won't be crazy expensive to fix :P
    Can you spell "sweat equity".