+ Reply to Thread

Default Tile Grout flash-dried

I walked into my son's house to find him and his friend frantically trying to wash the grout off the tub surround tiles before it completely dried. He's tiled several houses beautifully and mixed the grout exactly according to the instructions on the package. I helped them as much as possible, but we couldn't get all the grout off the tiles.

We're in Boise, Idaho. Weather is humid, low 50s with occasional rain during the day. the bath is in the basement. Substrate is green board.

Anyone know what might have happened?

Default Re: Tile Grout flash-dried

Unfortunately, sometimes it just depends on the brand of grout. Some brands seem to dry much faster than others, and for those brands you need to grout just a small section (3 or 4 square feet) at a time and then clean off the grout.

www.yourconstructiongroup.com

Cyril,
    Thanks for your help on this. Looks like we're into a dig-out-and-regrout process. What's so strange is that he's completed several floor tile jobs on his houses and always had to wait around for the grout to dry enough to start wiping down. This grout totally caught him by surprise. The electrician who was re-wiring the basement even dropped what he was doing and jumped into the tub and started trying to get the grout off. We'll try a small area this time and see how we get along.

Hope your business is seeing some good days.

Rudy "Lucky Lindy"

Thanks Rudy. Good luck to you!

www.yourconstructiongroup.com

Hi,

After I have done the first wipe, 24 hours later I always come back with a couple dry rags wipe off and vacumn the remaining grout. do another wet wipe. and then towel dry. Never had that problem.

Clean the grout with vinegar and a toothbrush. Then afterward, paint it with white Satin Finish house paint. Your grout will be as easy to clean as the tiles after you paint it.