+ Reply to Thread

Red face New Outdoor GFCI Outlet

I have a 110 outlet in the garage and want to add a new GFCI outlet outside that area to run a fountain in the yard.

Can I continue the wiring from the existing inside 110 outlet, out through the wall, through a Schedule 40 PVC conduit to a new GVCI-protected receptacle with cover?

Or do I need to run a completely new line from the circuit box clear outside?

Default Re: New Outdoor GFCI Outlet

The receptacle in the garage should be a GFCI you could then run the wiring off the load side of it and both receptacles would be GFCI protected.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

As Jack points out, the garage should already be GFI protected. If this is the case, then continuing the line out and installing a standard receptacle would be appropriate. The way to find out is to check both the main service and all other wet locations for either a GFI breaker (main panel ) or a GFI outlet.

GFI's are generally located in a garage, in bathrooms, in kitchens, or at exterior outlets. A single GFI can be responsible for all other wet locations, so don't assume that because you see a standard receptacle that it's not GFI protected. Conversely, don't assume that a standard receptacle is automatically protected, regardless of the presence of other GFI devices in the home. The only way to be sure is to inspect all outlets and circuits and test the various outlets which should be protected, i.e. any location prone to moisture or near a water source.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayNFran View Post
    I have a 110 outlet in the garage and want to add a new GFCI outlet outside that area to run a fountain in the yard.

Can I continue the wiring from the existing inside 110 outlet, out through the wall, through a Schedule 40 PVC conduit to a new GVCI-protected receptacle with cover?

Or do I need to run a completely new line from the circuit box clear outside?
    If any part on the PVC is above ground and exposed to damage use Schedule 80 PVC, per NEC 300.5{D**{4**.