+ Reply to Thread

Question Is stained Cedar safe for a raised veg garden?

Hi, I was wondering if it would be safe to use recycled stained Cedar from our deck to make a raised veg garden? The wood was stained a number of years ago. Thanks.

Default Re: Is stained Cedar safe for a raised veg garden?

Depends, will you be putting the stain towards or away from the soil inside the bed?

Who knows what goes into finishing products. Very few are rated "food safe", so why risk putting them in contact with the soil you'll be planting your veggies in? While the amounts of toxins that would leach would likely be small, you'll have to weigh that risk with the reasoning behind making the beds in the first place.

Having said that, the amount of stain that would be on the back of the material should be minimal, resulting in minimal transference to the soil and veggies. Build your beds with the stained side out and you'll be fine.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Is stained Cedar safe for a raised veg garden?

Quote Originally Posted by mngreenthumb View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if it would be safe to use recycled stained Cedar from our deck to make a raised veg garden? The wood was stained a number of years ago. Thanks.
    Should be OK stained side out.