+ Reply to Thread

Default Contractor just starting out on my own

Hello, My name is Dale and I live in Omaha, Ne I am a small contractor just starting out on my own. We have quite a few homes that were built in the early 1900's here and I'm very interested in specializing on repair work for these homes. So I have a few questions I would like to ask. Where is the best place to find more information on what materials were used in the construction of these homes, such as lead based paint, asbestos etc? I would also like to know how to deal with them, can they be covered up, removed and/or proper disposal? I would also like to find out if there are organizations in my area that deal with these types of conditions at no cost to the home owner. Thanks for the help!!!

Default Re: Contractor just starting out on my own

There will likely be specialty licensing required to handle lead and asbestos, that is definitely the case here in California.

Lead can be dealt with in a couple of ways, encapsulation, which is applying paint or other materials over the lead affected areas. Another method is removal, which is handled much the same as asbestos removal and can be done by stripping paint or removing building materials affected by the lead.

The only way that I know of that asbestos is dealt with is by removal, which is quite a project in and of itself, let alone the disposal of "hazardous waste".

Your municipality should have information on both how to become a certified spe******t, as well as have a list of other companies in the area doing the same thing. Beyond that, time spent on the internet searching for general details of the trades. I say "general" because every state, county, city government is different in how they oversee companies of this nature.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chasemarie View Post
    Hello, My name is Dale and I live in Omaha, Ne I am a small contractor just starting out on my own. We have quite a few homes that were built in the early 1900's here and I'm very interested in specializing on repair work for these homes. If you are taking about restoration work, I don't believe that is a job for a beginner. So I have a few questions I would like to ask. Where is the best place to find more information on what materials were used in the construction of these homes, such as lead based paint, asbestos etc? I would also like to know how to deal with them, can they be covered up, removed and/or proper disposal? Check with your local building department and your local and state health department. I would also like to find out if there are organizations in my area that deal with these types of conditions at no cost to the home owner. Thanks for the help!!!
    If free testing is available chances are a remediation spe******t will be required to handle the job. You can check to see what requirements are needed to get a license. There are tools you can purchase to test for lead. Asbestos usually takes a lab test to confirm. I have not seen or heard of any programs to handle lead or asbestos abatement for free.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Go to this site www.epa.gov/lead
    Effective April 22, 2010 the renovation Repair and Painting Program Rules will go into effect.
    Who is affected:
    Therequirements apply to any person paid to do work that disturbs paint in residential housing or child-occupied facilities built before 1987. This includes residential rental prorerty owners and managers, general copntractors and special trade contractors.This is the Federal rule States may be stricter.
    You can be certified by taking a class cost is $ 240.00 in my State.
    To find out about the training 1-800-424-5323
    At this date if you do more than 6 Sq/Ft interior or 20 Sq/Ft exterior repair you are require to be certified.
    See if you can find the following booklet EPA-740-F-08-003 December 2008

Howdy good luck with your endevers in the construction business. Good old Omaha what a great town.
    You might get good direction from the local building department. Test kits and testing companies will tell you if the samples you collect have hazards in it. There are remediation companies that test and do cleanup of these hazards. Their costs for remediation is real $$$. Be sure you get a large liability insurance policy to protect yourself. Guys starting out do not know or afford coverage but it can make a world of diference for your future.
    Toured General Cooks home in Council Bluffs last year what a fine home.

Howdy been in both Cook brothers homes, enjoyed the one in Omaha for a wedding reception . The one in Council Bluffs Is now a museum. Well worth seeing.

Council Bluffs home much larger. They had the old street pavers installed in its' basement when council bluffs tore up and paved down town. The brick mason was an artist- a craftsman. Wish i had that kind of talent but just a little handy myself.