+ Reply to Thread

Default Staircase closet

I'm looking for some ideas for the odd-shaped area under our staircase in our 1910 New England Colonial. The area has a doorway on the end, rather than the side. We'd like to use this area as a linen closet, as well as to store various household cleaning supplies, etc. But, due to it's long shape and sloping ceiling, we're at a loss of how to best utilize the space. Any ideas...?

Default Re: Staircase closet

We have a similar staircase under our front stairs in our split-level. The ceiling of the closet steps down due to the stairs on the other side. A previous owner had installed shelving that gets deeper as you go lower. This gives us lots of storage for board games, etc. Large storage boxes of Christmas decorations fit on the floor under the bottom shelf. Jackets hang in the front on a hanger bar and we have room for the vacuum cleaner, etc.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: Staircase closet

I actualy like Bruce's idea. You can leave the space at the bottom open to store long items -- lacrosse sticks, odd pipes and stuff. Stuff could get lost back there, so I would build a knee wall to minimize the length of the space.