+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I replace an old wood stove insert??

Hi all,

Bought my 1,000 sq ft house 6 years ago from the 83 year old original builder/owner. House has a Country fireplace insert that looks old and takes a lot of wood to get up to temp, then goes through the wood fairly fast.

Been comparing it to the newer technology that meets EPA standards, have the second burning systems, etc, and are supposedly much more efficient, but I just need a push to spend the $4,000 it's going to take to do the deed. I'm leaning toward an Avalon or a Regency unit. Should I do it??

Also, any thoughts about to use a blower or not? Pro-con seems about 50/50.

Thanks for your time,

Steve
    Last edited by craftsman owner; 10-13-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Default Re: Should I replace an old wood stove insert??

I would definitely go with the blower. That is an easy decision from my experience with a free standing coal stove. I understand the inserts will benefit even more than a free standing from the use of a blower.

Depending on where you are located and how available ($$$) wood is for you, you may want to check into a coal burning insert. There are some advantages to burning coal over wood (longer burn times, no sensitivity to getting wet while stored & some others) if it is available in your area. Hitzer makes a good coal burning insert.

Ditto on the blower.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    I would definitely go with the blower. That is an easy decision from my experience with a free standing coal stove. I understand the inserts will benefit even more than a free standing from the use of a blower.

Depending on where you are located and how available ($$$) wood is for you, you may want to check into a coal burning insert. There are some advantages to burning coal over wood (longer burn times, no sensitivity to getting wet while stored & some others) if it is available in your area. Hitzer makes a good coal burning insert.

Thanks for the advice, gang.

Coal is not an option since I have a ready supply of good wood, but an interesting thought. Went window shopping some more today, it's pretty dang amazing how much the technology has advanced. Now I want it done asap, should be interesting to see the difference. I can't believe how small the fireboxes are in the new stuff!