+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy nec2008 and wood walls

Basically..house fire Dec 22,2009. I have to rewire complete home to make it equivalent to a new home in nec2008 code. This is a Victorian home with pine plank walls and oak plank floors and ceilings. Am I allowed to run cable through walls without stapling? If I need to staple, how can I do that with solid oak walls?I can access wiring from above and below each floor but not within walls.

Default Re: nec2008 and wood walls

We had a house fire about five years ago and our requirement was to rewire the 2nd floor only as the first floor was untouched by fire. You may want to check into this. The code generally does not require stapling when you have to fish wire through inaccesible spaces.

I never had an inspector cite that as a code violation.
    In the event the walls are ever opened, then you have to staple said Romex. 3M makes a great product called a Stacker, a plastic hanger with a 10 penny nail attached, that is idea for the job.

Howdy cheaper stacker is the 3 and 4 wire staples available at electrical supply stores and way cheaper. The State Electrical Inspector for North Central Nebraska told me of these and i am so grateful. Had used the 3m stacker but $$$ adds up fast the stacker staples are pennies on the cost of the stacker.

dont worry about stapling if the wires not exposed (behind a covered wall). where it is exposed staple.it.