+ Reply to Thread

Default What's the best way to remove a texured or stipple ceiling?

I have a 3 level Townhouse. The ceilings on each level is textured or stipple. I just want a flat ceiling. What would be my best option?

These are a few options I came up with:

1. Sand it all down with a hand sander and shop vac (which I'm told would still be a dusty job)

2. Take more compound and spread it all over the ceiling and smooth it out after it dries (which maybe less dusty)

3. Just replace the drywall on the ceiling (which maybe a bigger problem when I get to the 3rd level because of the insulation in the attic)

Default Re: What's the best way to remove a texured or stipple ceiling?

The easiest will be option 2, to float out the ceiling.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    we normally just knock down any high spots with a 20" knife then go over the whole ceiling with a fresh layer of 1/2". if scraping it by the time the stipling is down the ceiling is normally prety badly gouged up and needs more filling than most tapers want to tackle same goes for floating the entire ceiling
    Wimp ... (just kidding )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks a lot A. Spruce and J. Kirk! I know I have my hands full with this job. By the way what's a round about price for a job like this (floating)?

I've been out of the business too long to offer a guesstimate. Price will depend on how large the room/areas are to do and obstacles such as furnishings that must be worked around, moved, and protected.