+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bad GFI?

Default bad GFI?

last year i replaced all the electrical outlets in the condo my wife and i have. there is a GFI in the kitchen that is hooked in with 5 outlets. the circuit breaker for that circuit when turned on will not trip but the GFI does without anything plugged into 4 of the 5 outlets. the 5th outlet has a floor lamp plugged into it that works just fine. i would imagine that socket is before the GFI. because the GFI just started tripping all the time. yesterday it would trip and i would reset it and it would be ok for a while then would trip again. today it will not reset at all. my question is.... is it possible the GFI is bad? apparently there is not a short in that circuit anywhere because the floor lamp still works.

Default Re: bad GFI?

Yes it is quite possible the GFI is bad, and a common occurrence.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    last year i replaced all the electrical outlets in the condo my wife and i have. there is a GFI in the kitchen that is hooked in with 5 outlets. the circuit breaker for that circuit when turned on will not trip but the GFI does without anything plugged into 4 of the 5 outlets. the 5th outlet has a floor lamp plugged into it that works just fine. i would imagine that socket is before the GFI. because the GFI just started tripping all the time. yesterday it would trip and i would reset it and it would be ok for a while then would trip again. today it will not reset at all. my question is.... is it possible the GFI is bad? apparently there is not a short in that circuit anywhere because the floor lamp still works.
    Could this be a problem GFCI ? ..... sure it's possible as JLM said..... though I haven't come across them aside from ones used outdoors that have been soaked with water.

If the circuit is as you describe with the 5th receptacle wired before the GFCI ..... could have a fault with an imbalance or ground fault or nuisance tripping from a receptacle or device plugged in after the GFCI. Which case would do exactly what you're seeing.

For the cost of a new GFCI wouldn't hurt to replace it to see if the problem continues .... if so then you have to investigate things after the GFCI.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

well it seems that it was a bad GFI. i replaced it today and all is well now. thank you so much for the help.

Wayne