+ Reply to Thread

Default acceptable wallboard for shower?

renovating my bathroom and had greenboard installed including around the tub/shower. i was planning on putting tile around the tub/shower over the greenboard. as i am learning this is not acceptable. do i need to remove it and install cement board or is there a way to correctly water proof the wall before the tile goes up? please help..thank you !!

Default Re: acceptable wallboard for shower?

very helpful. thank you for your response

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    green board in the shower itself is a no-no. the paper is mold resistant not mold proof.

products and methods are constantly changing, green board was ok then concrete board became the accepted method then people realized that durok is porous if the membrane fails water can still get through the durock.

the most current product in use is called Densesheild- its like drywall only it has a fibreglass coating. it is waterproof and the fibreglass mesh skin wont create mold. the only extra prep to deal with is to properly waterproof the seams on it within the shower. dont tape the seams within the shower and have it run past the shower to the outer section of wall by one stud

denseshield is also used on the exterior of buildings as a substrate for masonry and DRy-vit (acrylic modified stucco) finishes
    Where can one get that Densesheild thing please?

One can always try that google thing if one is so inclined.

Schluter's Kerdi membrane is waterproof enough that it can be applied over plain 1/2" drywall. Of course, if it makes you feel better about yourself, you can go to the additional (although unnecessary) expense of putting it on durock.
    You'll come to love Schluter systems eventually.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Hi,
    no sarcasm, totally serious. Schluter Kedri is certified to be installed as the sole waterproofing element under tile in steam showers, showers, tub surrounds and any other wet area. It is becoming accepted (gradually) by building inspectors across the country. What is the durock really doing, functionally, that waterproofed drywall (with Kerdi) is not doing? Base your answer on objective facts, not "because that's the way it's done" -type of thinking.
    To fully actualize successful Schluter installations you have to understand the products and the system; That's why there are Schluter Schools that run seminar programs.
    The "system" is very efficient, and once you understand the way the components work together, what right now may seem very controversial becomes an easily-undertood routine.
    I first became familiar with the system in '07 on a job I was working on, and have since used it twice in my own home, and continued to recommend it.
    I sure don't want to come across as snotty, but the stuff just works, and beats to heck having to haul in one more special material, in the right quantity with the right fasteners, and make certain it gets installed in the right places. Since durock has to be waterproofed anyhow, this just makes so much more sense; when the rockers are done, the tile guy can start; it saves a lot of time.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.