+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default New toilet flange to sewer stack adapter?

Our house was built in 1946 and I'm replacing the floor in the tiny upstairs bathroom which just includes a small sink and toilet.

I took up the plywood underlayment down to the subfloor. The toilet was attached the floor by screws and instead of a wax ring that sealed the connection between toilet and sewer stack I found a foam ring. There was no flange as you would normally see in today's construction.

The pipe coming up from the floor is made of a very malleable metal. Not sure what.

I'm wondering if I can install the underlayment like it was before and install a new toilet flange over the sewer stack pipe opening (similar to replacing broken flange) OR do I need some special adapter? Basically the flange would bolt to the new floor as you'd expect, then I would install the toilet with a new wax ring to seal the connection between the stack pipe and the toilet.

What do you guys think? Is that a pro way of finishing the job or do I need a special part. Please see images for illustration.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	3392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	3393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	3394