+ Reply to Thread

Default ? re Correct Size for Window A/C Unit

I'd like to upgrade some of the window a/c that came with my house. I understand that window a/c should be the right BTU "size" for the square footage of the room . . . however, does that presume that the door of the room is closed? My first floor has a kitchen, lvg room, dining, 1 bedroom and family room. I typically leave the doors open and/or there are no doors . . . how do I figure out how many a/c and/or what size they should be? If I put just 1 that has BTU's sufficient for the total square footage won't I have 1 room that is freezing (where a/c is located) and the farthest room warm? If I do 2 (say in the living room and the farthest room)how do I decide what size they each should be?

Hope this makes sense.

Default Re: ? re Correct Size for Window A/C Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchwitch123 View Post
    I'd like to upgrade some of the window a/c that came with my house. I understand that window a/c should be the right BTU "size" for the square footage of the room . . . however, does that presume that the door of the room is closed? My first floor has a kitchen, lvg room, dining, 1 bedroom and family room. I typically leave the doors open and/or there are no doors . . . how do I figure out how many a/c and/or what size they should be? If I put just 1 that has BTU's sufficient for the total square footage won't I have 1 room that is freezing (where a/c is located) and the farthest room warm? If I do 2 (say in the living room and the farthest room)how do I decide what size they each should be?

Hope this makes sense.
    Go with two. Take the size needed and divide by two. Simple.

Default Re: ? re Correct Size for Window A/C Unit

Square footage has very little to do with the true cooling needs of any space. It's commonly used a rule of thumb, but is next to meaningless.

Window sizes and types, their orientation to the sun, air leakage into the home, number of occupants, appliances, etc. must all be considered.

HOWEVER, in the case of window A/C units, they typically have a capacity of 12,000 BTU's, or less, of cooling. You probably would not go too far wrong by installing 2 units of 10,000 BTU capacity, or maybe even a couple of 12,000 BTU units. That's just a guess.