+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Restoring Finish of Old Wooden Front Door

stevega,

I'm referring to Sherwin-Williams Duration exterior waterborne paint. (They also make a Duration product for interior applications)
    Last edited by goldhiller; 10-17-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Thank you ****hiller. I am surprised that the latex base is holding up so well. It did not do well in other tests. It turned cloudy and almost white in the Jim Kull tests referenced by Wood Magazine, hopefully linked below. I am currently looking at Porter (Olympic)oil deep base and it looks promising.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/dgroups/...e-5e994902c749

I don't think I linked correctly. Try below.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...932583.html?10

I had a similar problem. My painting contractor had his guys sand the doors down to bare wood, then applied Spar Varnish. The wooden screen door and trim don't look anything like the main door (good wood, Spar Varnish only), so he suggested we use DEK stain on top of the Spar. Sounds like that's not a good idea. Am I asking for trouble, or will it just not let the stain work to it's best result? I have since relieved the contractor of his responsibility for the doors and am doing it myself. Do I really need to resand the doors to bare wood? If instead I keep adding layers of Spar Varnish, will the lighter wood darken and eventually even out? My plan is/was to top everything off with at least a couple coats of Spar Varnish once I get the colors close. Here's a link to a photo of the door in question. Right and top edges are not in shadows, they really look that way. Deep rich main door can be seen through the glass.

http://gallery.me.com/kentblocher#100095

Thank you for any help!

After viewing your pic, I can confidently say....your "contractor" didn't know what he was doing....but I guess you know that now.

Bring me the door & the trim pieces and I'll have it looking dandy in fairly short order.

Since that isn't likely in the cards...here's what I'll suggest. Find an experienced and competent custom cabinet/furniture shop in your area and take the door & casings to them. You need to find a shop that uses and stocks... Mohawk coloring products (these are "pro" products not available to the average Joe off the shelves of the big-box or at a paint store). Have them shoot(spray) the door with some of Mohawk's pigment stain products (appropriate color or blend of colors)...which can also be used as toners....which is what they'll be doing in this instance. These can be shot right over the existing spar and then more coats of the same spar used can be shot over the top of that. *If* these folks are skilled, the door will be totally uniform in color when done.

I am suggesting the Mohawk pigment stain products this time rather than the trans-tint dyes from Homestead Finishing that I frequently do...because it appears this door takes alot of direct sunlight. The Mohawk pigment products will stand up to this much better.

Yes, the door colors *might* eventually even out over time if left alone, but it'll take ten years or likely more. Or the color may never even out completely. It depends.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 10-22-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Yes, the irony is the contractor sanded off at least fifteen years of evened-out color, in an effort to restore the neglected finish. Too late now.

Your approach sounds reasonable, especially if I want to do it right. As a Plan B, would Sikkens DEK stain on top of the existing coat of Spar, followed by more Spar, have a chance of at least not making the situation worse?

I've updated my previous link to include a photo of the door (and old house color) before it was sanded and Sparred.

http://gallery.me.com/kentblocher#100095

Thank you again for your advice. Greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kpblocher; 10-23-2008 at 11:49 AM.

DON'T mix the two oils or use Sikkens DEK for the Door!!

>>> You'll have the strong possibility of two different rates of contraction/expansion between the two types oils. This could probably lead to premature checking/cracking.

If trying Sikkens, look at the Door & Window Satin or Gloss here...
    http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.c...egory=exterior

Once you're down to good wood, that Sikkens pdf has great info. for application & maintenance.
    3 coats, 1 day apart, and you're done.

A few people in town here use this Sikkens exclusively on the nice wood garage & entry doors. They love it!! Maintenance & staying ahead of the damage is key for this and ANY coating however...

We go thru a TON of Sikkens stuff for Decks & Siding up here in the "Northland"!

Faron

It looks to me like the contractor sanded part of the door down to new wood and left the patina and possibly some of the old finish on the other part. Blending with stain or dye is possible but if it where me, I would strip the door and finish the prep.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you very much for all the advice. For yet another opinion I went to my contractor's supplier (I was returning the Sikkens DEK anyway), who was also puzzled by the original plan. Since the exterior painting season is rapidly coming to a close, he suggested letting the single coat of spar varnish weather through the winter, sand the remainder off in the spring, then start over with Sikkens Door and Window. Sikkens also reiterated that their DEK product is not suitable for doors, as it is not flexible enough for the expansion and contraction you get in a door due to all the joinery. Lessons learned: prevention is worth a pound of cure, and do it right the first time.

I think you will have to strip it first.

--Mark, a Painter in Edina, MN