+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Slant Fin Boiler Good or Bad?

Actually mine has been in since August not october. How expensive are the boards or igniters should I keep a spare around?

I finally got the A 01 error yesterday and I think I may know the cause. I had the boiler off the previous night (because of the warm weather we are having) and the water temperature in the heat exchanger dropped into the low 60's. When I started it this morning, it ignited just fine but after about 2 seconds the flame shut down. It repeated this sequence three times and then the A 01 error came up. After resetting, it finally stayed lit on the third try. I have monitored the boiler since then, manually turning it on when at various heat exchanger temperatures. When the temperature in the heat exchanger was above about 100 it would start on the first try. If the temperature is around 70 it takes two tries. If the temperature is between 60 and 65 it takes three. Below 65 it tries three times then gives the A 01 error.

I would guess that the problem is not an ignition problem, since there was visible flame every time, but sensor problems at low temperature. It appears that they use "flame current" which relies on heat. Flame current is similar to the current in old style vacuum tubes. For anyone in like me, who remembers vacuum tubes, they will remember that vacuum tube equipment always took longer to warm up in cold weather.

Slants Fins solution is apparently to just prolong the number of trials. With each trial the sensor warms up a little and eventually gets warm enough and senses the flame. A better solution would be to give the sensor more time to warm up when the exchanger is cold before just assuming an ignition failure.

Question Re: Slant Fin Boiler Good or Bad?

Just read your post on the temperature of the start up being an issue. I also think they need to redesign the ignition system. I had a replacement control panel put in this past November and have not had to manually restart the unit. The new control has a control function change that will reset an A01 in about 15 minutes and retry. So far it seems to be working. Iím not happy with the fix because it seems to be a workaround that the engineers came up with rather than fixing the root cause. As for the questions on cost for replacement igniters and control boards, I also would like to know.

Exclamation Re: Slant Fin Boiler Good or Bad?

I am on my second ignitor and ready to call for a third i have had recent A01 error codes.thankfully they occured while i was at home. nevertheless i am still very pleased with this boiler and slant/fins' customer service.

I am in the process of deciding which boiler to buy. The oil company that I deal with sells Slant Fin, Weil Mclain, System 2000 and a few others.. It seems from reading the reviews on slant fin on this one thread, there seems to be a red flag up as most people have had electronic issues with them, which is something to consider. Weil Mcclain has been around the longest and some people think that because of that, they must be the best. That would be like saying that the best car out there is a Ford because it has been around the longest and clearly that is not the case. I am however looking for opinions and there are many out there. The boiler that seems to have the highest ratings for saving oil, dependable and being the quietest is the System 2000. With whatever boiler I choose, I will be using an indirect water heater.

Has anyone recently bought the System 2000 and had a problem with it? It seems to be the best choice out there. You can't buy this thing at home depot and I personally wouldn't want something as important as a boiler that came from there. Any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bob

I installed a Slant Fin Bobcat B120 Boiler in Sept. of 2008. I had numerous start problems, all giving me the A01 code. (ignition failure) I would have to manually reset the boiler almost all of the time. Finally, received a new style igniter, and the new controller. This seem to solve the problem.
    I started the boiler on 21 Oct. 2009 and began to notice that the boiler was going thru multiple start attempts before finally starting. Until this morning (2 Dec. 2009 Wed.) the boiler always started. This morning I had a hard lockout A01. Manual reset was able to finally start the boiler. It went thru 5 tries after the manual reset. I get a strong spark, and a good light off, and the gas valve closes, and the start is aborted. Spoke with Slant Fin, Bob in Tech Support, and he asked if I was using propane. I am, and he asked me to look at the controller and see if PROPANE was marked on the top of it. It was not. They are sending me a new controller,and a new igniter tomorrow. They think that the problem is the characteristics of Propane. I now have to use the reset button a number of times. It took 15 tries to light the last time
    (12-10-2009)
    I have installed the new controller and a new igniter and a new ignition harness, and so far, the boiler lights on the very first try. The controller was programed for propane. The plumber also raised the propane pressure at the regulating vale. With all propane appliances running (Hot Water and Boiler) the inlet pressure is 9.6 Slant Finn states that 9.5 or higher is best.
    Last edited by n35tr; 12-10-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Update

I think you will find that the problem with the Bobcat was a very simple one. It was the ignitor itself. The igniter consists of two rods. One shaped like a capital "L". That one is fine. The other one ends up less than an 1/8 of an inch away from the "L" shaped one. The end of that electrode is cut off flat. I changed a half dozen of these, and a couple of controls. The new ignitors are exactly the same except they cut the second electrode to a point which concentrates the ignition spark. Since I installed it, NO MORE PROBLEMS! Get the right ignitor and you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by acoustic58 View Post
    I am in the process of deciding which boiler to buy. The oil company that I deal with sells Slant Fin, Weil Mclain, System 2000 and a few others.. It seems from reading the reviews on slant fin on this one thread, there seems to be a red flag up as most people have had electronic issues with them, which is something to consider. Weil Mcclain has been around the longest and some people think that because of that, they must be the best. That would be like saying that the best car out there is a Ford because it has been around the longest and clearly that is not the case. I am however looking for opinions and there are many out there. The boiler that seems to have the highest ratings for saving oil, dependable and being the quietest is the System 2000. With whatever boiler I choose, I will be using an indirect water heater.

Has anyone recently bought the System 2000 and had a problem with it? It seems to be the best choice out there. You can't buy this thing at home depot and I personally wouldn't want something as important as a boiler that came from there. Any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bob
    The company I work for sells System 2000. We have great luck with them. We have sold alot of Weil McLain ****s also. The only difficulty we have with WeilMcLain is when we have a warranty issue. They are VERY unresponsive. Enough so that we have changed to another manufacturer for cast iron boilers. Slant Fin. Any company can have a leaker once in a while. It's how they respond to it that makes the difference and The Slant Fin Company has been great. BE aware , Bob that the Bobcat is a gas boiler and the newest high efficience one Slant Fin has. We have had a few problems with them but Slant Fin has been right there for us. As you can see in a previous thread, they found the ignition issue. All the manufacturers have had some quirks with their high efficiency gas boilers, the Weil Mclean Ultra, the Munchkin. The difference the COMAPNY. Both the manufacturer and the one you are dealing with.
    Last edited by rstet10712; 02-16-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Bobcat update

First let me say the Slantfin company is excellent to deal with. I had issues as I stated in a post and they sent company engineers to my house to determine the cause of the A01 errors. This boiler was configured and installed per their directions and regardless how it was setup it would fail. They actually replaced the entire boiler at one point in an attempt to determine the cause. After replacement it lasted for about 7 months without an error. I called their customer relations department and an engineer called me back within about an hour. He said he was sending me a new igniter and thought it would solve the issue. I had this new redesigned igniter for about one and a half years now and not one single failure.
    I would recommend the Bobcat b120 . One thing, make sure the installer has experience because setup is required on both the boiler and gas systems. I did make a few changes in the settings from factory. I increased the slope to about 2 from 1. This causes the boiler to run hotter water in the heating pipes and this in turn heats the house faster( wife demand) . As for hot domestic water, I would consider a stainless storage tank. The Bobcat does an excellent job in keeping it how per your desired settings.
    Lastly I will admit the only reason I did not consider a law suit on the distributor who was totally useless was the attitude of Slantfin. They are a US company and do not let people down.

I am surprised to see how long this post is running.
    I have had my Bobcat installed since October 2008 and it has been flawless and extremely efficient.
    Almost at the end of our 3rd winter and the heat exchange is dripping water. I need a pan under the boiler. I traced the water stains to the upper part of the heat exchange assembly. This unit is riveted together and comes out as a unit. Must the unit be replaced or is there a gasket kit used to repair it?