+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing washer/dryer in enclosure

I have seen many photos of laundry rooms where the front-loading washer and dryer are enclosed in a cabinet. How are the utility hookups done for setups like this? For example, how is the dryer vented? Are the water hoses just really long so you can pull the washer all the way out to connect them? Or does it require access from the back to make the hookups? There are some examples of what I'm talking about on this page http://blogue.dessinsdrummond.com/20...lle-de-lavage/

Default Re: Installing washer/dryer in enclosure

I wonder if the water, electrical, and vent hookups are inside the cupboard above.

In a typical set up, all hook ups are in the wall behind the appliances. And yes, the water hoses, electrical and drain are long enough to reach.

BTW, the drain must be in a certain height, it can't be in the upper cabinet.

There is nothing special about that installation, other than the cabinetry around the machines. The hook-ups are in the wall behind, including the dryer vent. The machines are hooked up first, then slid into place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There is nothing special about that installation, other than the cabinetry around the machines. The hook-ups are in the wall behind, including the dryer vent. The machines are hooked up first, then slid into place.

I always like to install a set of shut off valves that are accessible with the machines in place so if the something goes bad you can shut off the water with out having to pull out the machine in an emergency. also if you go on vacation you are supposed the shut off the valves. what a pain in the butt having to pull the machines every time you go away. Washing machine hose break every now and then.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    I always like to install a set of shut off valves that are accessible with the machines in place so if the something goes bad you can shut off the water with out having to pull out the machine in an emergency. also if you go on vacation you are supposed the shut off the valves. what a pain in the butt having to pull the machines every time you go away. Washing machine hose break every now and then.

Bill
    Ah, but you are confusing what YOU would do with what is typical code in construction, which are obviously two very different things. IMHO, you are correct, water shut offs should always be easily accessible, the reality is, this isn't always the case, and it isn't a requirement in most jurisdictions, hence my answer and the most likely location of the attachments in the provided picture.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How about a stackable washer and dryer set? Might be a space saver answer for you.