+ Reply to Thread

Default Hurricane Gustave Damage/Louisiana

Hurricane Gustave flooded our home with about a foot of water. I am having to remove the inside of exterior walls, remove the wet insulation, spray with a mold inhibitor, replace insulation and lastly replace the walls.
    In the bathrooms I have removed the ceramic tile covering the interior of the outside wall, but it is backed by a combination of wire mesh and what appears to be concrete. It seems impossible to remove so I can get to the insulation.
    Has anyone had any experience with removing this stuff or advice to give me.

I would really appreciate it.

Default Re: Hurricane Gustave Damage/Louisiana

you can go to the hardware and buy a diamond blade for your circular saw. set it at the same depth as the concrete and mesh. (no deeper so you don't cut any wires or plumbing that may be behind it.) measure up from the floor and give yourself a straight line to cut by. and after you make your cut you should be able to remove the cement simply by hitting it with a hammer, most of it should come loose from the lathe, then pull the nails or screws that are holding the lathe in place. your tile installer will have to put it back and can make the necessary repairs

Default Re: Hurricane Gustave Damage/Louisiana

As Havana suggests, you can get a diamond masonry blade for about $20 at the local box store that will handle the wire and cement tile backer. If you can't find or don't want to spend the money on a blade, then you can use a sledge hammer and crowbar to remove the backer. The important thing to remember here is that the more you beat and flex the wall, the more it will pop nails/fasteners on the other side, and possibly damage the wall surface on the other side as well. If this is of concern, then you're better off finding the diamond blade and going at it in smaller pieces with less force.

Side note, you'll want to make sure there's no wall hangings or furniture against the wall on the other side because the banging and flexing will cause things to fall and jostle which can cause breakage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!