+ Reply to Thread

Default Connect TV to motion sensor

I have been trying to connect my TV to an exercise bike for a couple of months now and I have almost made it work, but not quite. I have an exercise bike that has a shroud around the flywheel. I places a motion sensor (the kind you use in place of a wall light switch) inside the shroud and it kind of works. When I start peddling it will turn the TV on, but our 51inch projection TV must pull too many watts for the sensor because the sound only works speratically. I got a little bit more expensive sensor but had the same problem. Next I tried to hook a relay up to the motion sensor that would then power the outlet the TV was plugged into. This did not work because the relay did not pull enough electricity to cause the motion sensor to start working. I really like the idea of the motion sensor because I can set it to stay on for a few minutes after peddling without worrying about the TV going off immediately. Any great ideas?

Default Re: Connect TV to motion sensor

Wouldn't it be simpler to use the remote control for the TV?

The idea is to make sure the entire family is getting exercise when watching TV and not being couch potatoes.

this is just wierd!

What's to stop someone from just getting a broomstick and just waving it in front of the motion sensor every couple of minutes? If you just throw away your TV remote you can at least insure they have to stand up to change the channel.

The motion sensor is located inside the flywheel shroud so that it can only “see” the flywheel. So does anyone have any GOOD ideas? This does not have to be 100% tamper proof. It is just going to be used by my family.

http://www.amazon.com/EnterTRAINER-P...0665969&sr=1-1

Here you go....already on the market....

Quote Originally Posted by tmaveus View Post
    The motion sensor is located inside the flywheel shroud so that it can only “see” the flywheel. So does anyone have any GOOD ideas? This does not have to be 100% tamper proof. It is just going to be used by my family.
    Motion sensors are heat activated. They "see" your body heat moving across a room. The flywheel is probably the same temperature all the way around and so won't trigger a motion detector.

Quote Originally Posted by jvande7471 View Post
    Motion sensors are heat activated. They "see" your body heat moving across a room. The flywheel is probably the same temperature all the way around and so won't trigger a motion detector.
    Yep as far as IR sensors go.
    While Infrared are the most used and economical they aren't the only type of motion detectors --- there is also Ultrasonic and Microwave models.
    In security systems "dual tech" models which combine Ultrasonic and IR or Microwave and IR are sometimes used.

To the OP --- it might be easier and cheaper to go outside and get your exercise.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Yep as far as IR sensors go.
    While Infrared are the most used and economical they aren't the only type of motion detectors --- there is also Ultrasonic and Microwave models.
    In security systems "dual tech" models which combine Ultrasonic and IR or Microwave and IR are sometimes used.

To the OP --- it might be easier and cheaper to go outside and get your exercise.
    He mentioned using the type of switch that you would use to replace a light switch. I'm assuming those are generally IR activated. Security motion sensors have more options, but I haven't seen those options in light switches. I've been known to be wrong before, however.