+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Bathroom ceiling

Need to put up new drywall. It had ceiling tile with furing strips. Can I use the furing strips for the drywall running perpendicular to the joices as long as they are even? Or can I run 2x4's sidways (like the furing strips for more support?)Or should I run 2x4's width wise and build a new ceiling, so to speak. Old house messed up joices, uneven,rotten etc. not enough rotten that i can't run something perpendicular to make it work.
    Hope this makes sense.

Default Re: Bathroom ceiling

Perhaps adding a photo because rot an joist makes me cringe. Concerned about rotten ceiling joists what caused them to rot. Has the source of the rot been addressed? Where is the rot and how wide do they span and are they 2by4 of larger joists?

You can use 1" by 3" boards installed perpendicular to the joists with screws or ring shank nails penatrating the joists by at least 2.5"( not into rot). Better is to rip studs to correct the slope of the ceiling again installing them perpendicular to the joists.

Yep, the photo would be good... but from my experience with uneven old ceilings you'd better redo it all over, as you will have to do a lot of fixing later if you are lazy now.. Trust me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Perhaps adding a photo because rot an joist makes me cringe. Concerned about rotten ceiling joists what caused them to rot. Has the source of the rot been addressed? Where is the rot and how wide do they span and are they 2by4 of larger joists?

You can use 1" by 3" boards installed perpendicular to the joists with screws or ring shank nails penatrating the joists by at least 2.5"( not into rot). Better is to rip studs to correct the slope of the ceiling again installing them perpendicular to the joists.
    Thank you for the info. There are 1"x3' boards there because whoever put up the ceiling before used ceiling tiles. They of course are not level either.

Ripping studs is the only way to go.

Thank you.