+ Reply to Thread

Default Thoughts on Fluorescent Recessed Lighting

I'm thinking of installing CFC recessed lighting in my basement ceiling to replace and add to some incandescent cans there now. My reason for CFC are:
    1) To reduce the heat emanating from the lamps (low ceiling)
    2) To allow for additional cans on the same circuit while staying under the maximuma wattage for the circuit and a dimmer

I'd be curious to hear any thoughts on this plan:
    1) Are there downsides to CFC that i'm overlooking? (quality of light, suitability for recessed cans, etc.)
    2) Am I correct that installing the CFC recessed lighting (even if I use 23W) will allow me to install a greater number of fixtures AND use a dimmer without running into any major issues? I'm looking to install between 8 and 12 fixtures in total.

The circuit is 10amps or 15amps (I can't recall at the moment) and is dedicated.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Default Re: Thoughts on Fluorescent Recessed Lighting

bad idea!! cfc's and dimmers you will not be happy!! they are starting to make some cfcs that are gettin better with dimmers, however "I" dont believe the cost of the light bulb will offset the savings in your electric bill.. Now that is my opinon, and it may vary.

You will be fine with 8 to 12 cans on your 15 amp circuit thou. The typical incadescent bulb is like 65 w that i use in my cans. so thats only like 6 amps. You will have to get a dimmer rated for the total watts like you said though.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
    bad idea!! cfc's and dimmers you will not be happy!! they are starting to make some cfcs that are gettin better with dimmers, however "I" dont believe the cost of the light bulb will offset the savings in your electric bill.. Now that is my opinon, and it may vary.

You will be fine with 8 to 12 cans on your 15 amp circuit thou. The typical incadescent bulb is like 65 w that i use in my cans. so thats only like 6 amps. You will have to get a dimmer rated for the total watts like you said though.
    I agree with the "Sparkman"
    Have you though about a halogen lighting option.
    Having said that, I do install cans with outdated flood or spot light energy hog bulbs. It is what clients are still requesting.
    PS, CFL bulb cans are on the market, but much more pricier than the regular cans at the big box stores.

Thanks, guys.

Actually, my consideration of CFC's over incandescent is out of concern about the heat generated, not the $$ saved. We have low basement ceilings maybe 7' and the floods down there now are unbearable to sit under.

Any suggestions to address this other than CFC?

Also -- is there any difference between the CFC-specific cans (which I'd intended to do) and buying a traditional can and simply putting a CFC bulb in it?

Thanks in advance,
    Kace

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Actually, my consideration of CFC's over incandescent is out of concern about the heat generated, not the $$ saved. We have low basement ceilings maybe 7' and the floods down there now are unbearable to sit under.

Any suggestions to address this other than CFC?

Also -- is there any difference between the CFC-specific cans (which I'd intended to do) and buying a traditional can and simply putting a CFC bulb in it?

Thanks in advance,
    Kace
    That is a whole new ballgame then. Let us cross Halogen off the list then.
    I do believe the difference between a regular recessed light fixture and a CFL is its reflecting ability. But I could be wrong on that count. Might just research it later though.
    If you go to "YAHOO" and type in Progress Lighting, as they manufacture a massive array of can lights.
    I did see something about LED can lights on the site, and that is an option as well. And Progress does indeed make a fine product, plus they are carried by just about everybody.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 04-02-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Deadshort:

Thanks. Could you expand a bit on why the first option is "a different ball game?" I'm interested in that option, but I am curious about what the extra cost gets us in the long run.

Also, if you could private message me with links on some good products (I can't seem to find them -- or don't know what I'm looking for) I'd appreciate it.

I went to HD and the salesperson was pushing hard for me to do the screw-in CFCs in incandescent cans OR the LED recessed lights. Over my protestations ("I don't want lights that shoot straight down like a laser.") he pursued the LED tack. When I finally asked what they cost, we both agreed that $100 for the housing alone was absurd.