+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Wiring help

I did also assume that connecting both the fan and light wires to the hot (red) would do the trick. but then I have a black wire coming from my ceiling that is attached to nothing? I can just cap that off? Seems odd that it's there for no reason.
    thanks

At the ceiling, do you have two 3cond plus ground and one 2 cond plus ground or do you just have two 3 cond plus ground?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i dont know what a cond is.

When I use my tool to see if electricity is present, both black and red are live. the white doesnt give me anything. dont know if that helps.

by the way, i just tried connecting fan and light to the red, and neither works.

Do you have two cables at the ceiling with a black conductor, a red conductor, a white conductor, and a ground
    Or do you have two with red, black, white and ground and one with black, white, and ground?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

finally figured it out. connected fan and light to the red, and just capped off black by itself. (i had forgetten to connect another piece before, thats why it wasnt working then)
    thanks for all thehelp