+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ceiling Fan Wiring help

Hi,

I removed an old ceiling fan and will replace with a new one. However, the directions of the new one mentions only connecting black, white, and the grounding wire. However, from the ceiling I also have a red wire (see picture). Note that the fixture was controlled by two wall swtiches (both did the same function). Where does this red wire get attached to?

thanks!

ps- i plan to connect a saddlebox to the joist first, in case youre wondering
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010614.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	1678  

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Wiring help

One switch controls the black wire, the other controls the red wire. The red wire and accompanying switch is there to control a light kit separately from the fan motor.

If you do not have a light on your fan, just screw a wire nut onto the red wire to protect it, leaving it unconnected. You'll then find that one of the switches doesn't do anything. (Every house needs a mystery switch.)

If you DO have a light on your fan, connect the red wire to a lead that passes through the downrod to the junction box under the fan motor where the light kit is mounted. Connect this to the light kit.

If your fan has a wireless remote (whether it's fan only or fan-and-light), then you'll just hook it up as though you didn't have a light kit. The remote will control the fan & light instead of using a separate wall switch for the light.

(On the old fan, both the red and black were probably connected to the black lead on the fan. This is a common setup so the electrician doesn't get a "this switch doesn't work" sort of call.)

I'm going to guess the old fan was hooked to red and white, hook the new fan up the same way as the old.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm a little confused.

I should connect green to copper, black (fan) to blue (light) to black (box), White (fan) to white (box)? That leaves the red wire (box) unused.
    In my case, isn't the red wire the hot from the other swtich? If so, should i connect that also to the black-blue-black connection if i want them both to operate both the light and fan?

If you had two switches that have the same function, both cables shoud have a white, a black, a red, and a bare wire. Then it should be green to copper black/blue to black, and the red should be connected to the red on the other cable. Below is a drawing that represents 2 3-way switches to the fan. You should check the connections on the switches to make sure. The ground wires are ommited for simplicity.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FAn wiring.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	1679  
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 10-10-2008 at 11:52 PM.

I was wondering if this was two switches side by side for fan/light control OR whether the original fixture was part of a 3-way system. If it's the former, then I'd keep them independently working the fan and light.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

they are both defintely 3 way switches on opposite ends of the room. Thanks for the help JLMCDANIEL, but you didnt mention what the white from the box should then be connected to. i think ill have a long weekend of running up and down to flip the breaker off and on.

The drawing I posted shows the white, red, and black wires from each switch, you just need to check to see which has the house power coming into it.
    Jack

So I attached black to black and blue to red- the fan did not work.
    Then i reversed the connections and the fan worked- but I just hooked up the light and that does not work.
    any ideas?

Assuming that this is a 3-way switch circuit, as indicated earlier, then you've only got one switched hot lead coming to the fan. With both the fan and light attached to that hot lead, they both should work fine. Have you played with the switch settings on the fan itself? If there is more than one lightbulb in the light fixture, then when you pull the chain for the light it may operate different combinations of bulbs, from 1 to all, with successive pulls of the chain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!