+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding rigid insulation to an insulated ceiling

I live in an older under insulated home that loose heat through the ceiling, corners and walls. Taking down the ceiling is not an option without major renovation. Presently I have two bats of 6" insulation, strapping, vapor barrier and the old fashioned 12"x12" tiles. In my kitchen and living room (an open concept)I want to attach rigid insulation to the ceiling (keeping the old ceiling in place) spray insulate the edges where it meets the walls, re-strap and install a wood ceiling. My problem is whether I will created an area of concern between the old vapor barrier and the new rigid insulation!
    Thank you

Default Re: Adding rigid insulation to an insulated ceiling

Howdy way better is to add more insulation in the attic. Is there room to get in an blow in insulation. The insulation board will have only a very slight additional R value if you go that direction.

Default Re: Adding rigid insulation to an insulated ceiling

Thanks Timothy. I'm just trying to find an easy way to change the ceiling without taking down the old tiles because of the mess. At the same time adding a slight bit of insulation. I was told recently by the makers of "tru wall" that because this rigid insulation is also breadable I could install this over my old tiles and place my new cedar (T&G) ceiling over that. They said as long as 2/3 of my insulation is on the cold side of my vapor barier, there would not be a problem. Have you heard of such a declaration ...!
    http://nfstyro.com/Building_Materials/truewall1.html