+ Reply to Thread

Default Green Halloween ideas?

Making your own Halloween decorations? How else are you making sure that you have a safe, healthy, and green Halloween this year? Share your ideas with other This Old House readers here.

Arrow Re: Green Halloween ideas?

Instead of using a plastic trick or treat bag that gets thrown away, why not use a cloth/canvas bag that can be reused another year?

Allison
    http://www.novapros.com

Or you can even use the canvas bag for grocery shopping when only buying a few items. Then you can use it through out the year. With 3 or more kids, that is 3 plastic bags saved when shopping.

Allison

Instead of buying a Halloween costume, make one at home with items laying around the house. You can recycle old clothes into a costume.

Allison

Default Re: Green Halloween ideas?

Booooooooo!
    Attached Thumbnails
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Decorate your home in Halloween styles. its looks horny & Romantic. The above ideas about Halloween are gorgeous.

Lol, I don't think I'll be decorating my home in halloween styles all year round buddy!....I guess it might be ok for Goths, but I have a wife and 6 year old who might object!

Go as a mummy. You can just use tissue to wrap around yourself. You won't need to spend much for a costume.
    Last edited by Dominic; 11-02-2011 at 12:19 AM.
    "Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Here's an idea:

Get a decent size pumpkin from a local farm. Your helping to support local growers plus it'll get the family out of the home for a couple of hours.

Make a jack-o-lantern out of it. Careful with knives of course, but you could do any number of designs from a complete artsy image drawn on to a wild carving.

Keep the seeds, roast them to make a tasty treat. The pumpkin becomes your decoration outside on your stoop, the seeds become a treat and when the season is over, the pumpkin becomes a fertilizer.

Look ****** for the roasting seeds directions... I unfortunately can't post links yet but I love pumpkin seeds!

Use old clothes and make a Halloween costume out of that instead buying a new one. Thatís my idea of a green Halloween.