+ Reply to Thread

Default How to salvage & recycle this old house

We recently purchased a piece of property and rezoned it to build a vet clinic and animal boarding facility. There is an old house on the property with some cool wood architectual details such as pocket doors, french doors, 12" baseboards, stair components, etc all in excellent condition. How should I go about salvaging this stuff. What about the wood floors and the 12" southern yellow pine floor joists. The house is going to be demolished. I dont have time or resources to do it myself. How is this normally done? Do I sell salvage rights. Do I "part it out". Moving the house is not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: How to salvage & recycle this old house

Me, I don't want to go to salvage. I live in a Lustron home. It needs work. Contractors won't touch it... roofing, gutter, concrete (there is slab repair involved). Siding I can get -- if I wanted it and agreed on a total makeover. Though not rolling in dough, I am hardly a candidate for Extreme Makeover. I can afford a fair price for the jobs, but can't get the service. My lawyer's silence -- damn right I asked! -- would suggest this blacklisting is legal. How is this possible and what remedies would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyplanet View Post
    We recently purchased a piece of property and rezoned it to build a vet clinic and animal boarding facility. There is an old house on the property with some cool wood architectual details such as pocket doors, french doors, 12" baseboards, stair components, etc all in excellent condition. How should I go about salvaging this stuff. What about the wood floors and the 12" southern yellow pine floor joists. The house is going to be demolished. I dont have time or resources to do it myself. How is this normally done? Do I sell salvage rights. Do I "part it out". Moving the house is not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    One way is to have a demolition auction. The auctioneer will sell the salvageable parts by the room, set a completion date, and require proof of liability insurance.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by STRUMMINGBIRD View Post
    Me, I don't want to go to salvage. I live in a Lustron home. It needs work. Contractors won't touch it... roofing, gutter, concrete (there is slab repair involved). Siding I can get -- if I wanted it and agreed on a total makeover. Though not rolling in dough, I am hardly a candidate for Extreme Makeover. I can afford a fair price for the jobs, but can't get the service. My lawyer's silence -- damn right I asked! -- would suggest this blacklisting is legal. How is this possible and what remedies would you recommend?
    Well I can understand the problem, Steel frame, enameled steel panels, original company out of business, and everything custom made by Lustron. I would suggest you search the web for Lustron preservation groups and check with them for resources.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyplanet View Post
    And you did not work the house into the clinic design (greeting/entry and/or clerical offices) for what reason? Obviously the building would be unsuitable for kennels and exam/operation rooms, but how much bldg materials cost and waste could have been reduced by incorporating a charming structure into the flooplan?