+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No hot water after contractor moved faucet

I have a bathroom renovation in progress. Originally, I had a shower, tub, and 2 sinks in the bathroom. The shower and tub are being combined into one large shower. The tub hot/cold lines were capped. The shower hot/cold have been roughed into a Delta Universal valve. One sink was left in place, and the other was moved over a bit.

The problem I am having is the contractors have finished the plumbing and moving onto tile preparations, but I have no hot water in the rest of the house. They are stating that it is a coincidence, and something must be wrong with my hot water heater, as they didn't do anything that could cause this behavior. The pilot light is on (I even turned up the temp setting and saw the burners kick on for a long time). The pipe coming out of the hot water heater is very hot, so I know at least at the source things look good. When I turn on hot water at any faucet, it is cold (and actually gets even colder when left on a minute).

What could be going on here? Is there a change in pressure or air or something else that could be in the line due to them capping one piece and moving another?

Thanks!

Default Re: No hot water after contractor moved faucet

I would recommend halting the work until the hot water issue is resolved. It may or may not be a coincidence that this has occurred at the same time the contractor was manipulating pipes in the bathroom. If the bathroom is between the waterheater and the rest of the house, then it could very easily be something that they have done. If the bathroom is in the middle or far end of the system, then odds are that it's a coincidence.

When the contractor was working on the lines, did he turn off the supply side of the waterheater and possibly forget to turn it back on? Check there first. Above the waterheater, there will be a valve on the cold side, make sure it's open all the way minus 1/8 turn.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by austin123 View Post
    I have a bathroom renovation in progress. Originally, I had a shower, tub, and 2 sinks in the bathroom. The shower and tub are being combined into one large shower. The tub hot/cold lines were capped. The shower hot/cold have been roughed into a Delta Universal valve. One sink was left in place, and the other was moved over a bit.

The problem I am having is the contractors have finished the plumbing and moving onto tile preparations, but I have no hot water in the rest of the house. They are stating that it is a coincidence, and something must be wrong with my hot water heater, as they didn't do anything that could cause this behavior. The pilot light is on (I even turned up the temp setting and saw the burners kick on for a long time). The pipe coming out of the hot water heater is very hot, so I know at least at the source things look good. When I turn on hot water at any faucet, it is cold (and actually gets even colder when left on a minute).

What could be going on here? Is there a change in pressure or air or something else that could be in the line due to them capping one piece and moving another?

Thanks!
    I totally agree with Sprucey's first part ---- the issue needs to be resolved first before proceeding onto tiling,

However , I doubt it's as simple as the shutoff at the water heater being closed. If that were the case there would be nothing --- zero --- nada --- no --- water coming out of any faucet --- let alone cold water.

It's likely one of two things ............

When you turn the faucet for cold water is there hot water ?
    If so --- it's a simple case of the two lines are switched.

Or ........

They capped off the hot trunk line and somehow mistakenly plumbed the hot branches to the cold trunk .

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

On the Delta Universal valve the cartridge doesn't come with the valve body. It comes with the trim kit. You must install the cartridge or the hot will mix with cold through the valve body. Just install the cartridge problem solved. The contractor should have known this.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    On the Delta Universal valve the cartridge doesn't come with the valve body. It comes with the trim kit. You must install the cartridge or the hot will mix with cold through the valve body. Just install the cartridge problem solved. The contractor should have known this.

John
    Good catch, though would this affect point of use elsewhere in the house or just at that fixture? The original complaint is no hot water anywhere in the house, not just the new bathroom faucet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

John
    Thanks John - you nailed it. They kept saying they couldn't have done anything to affect this and it must be a coincidence. You should have seen the faces when it turned out to be their fault.

My trim kit is on order, so they claim they are used to having the trim kit on hand at rough in time and never ran into this problem. Regardless, I won't be paying for the time on this little side project.

Thanks to all who responded and especially John for the quick and dead-on analysis.

Tim

Hmmmm --- interesting.
    - Rush

Wouldn't you have warm water flowing though ?
    - Rush

It is the plug in the Delta valve. This very thing happened to me a couple of years ago and took a while to figure out, Affects the entire house.

The temperature would very depending on how far you were away from the cross connection. (In this case the cross would be the Delta valve body)

John
    Got that -- however -- when the op said nothing but cold water coming out of any faucet kind of throws off things.
    - Rush