+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding a room

Question Adding a room

Can anyone tell me how to figure out if our HVAC unit can handle the addition of a room? We have an insulated sunroom that I would like to run a couple of ducts to (12x20).

Thank you in advance for any information.

Default Re: Adding a room

Howdy the unit has a maximum rating changing fans or the speed can allow more supply without replacing the unit with a larger one. Consider contacting a heating/cooling contractor to inspect and determine the need /verses demand and where to locate the ducting in their estimate.... you might study how to create a passive thermosiphoning venting system too. Installing a ducting of the warm air from the ceiling of the sun room to the north side dwelling's cooler rooms an return venting from the floor of the cooler rooms to the sun room floor.

Thank you for the great ideas :~)

The only sure way to know is to have an accurate load calculation done for the whole house. Anything less is a guess.

Your situation is particulary tricky because, presumably, you have a lot of glass in a sunroom, and this will make the room's heating and cooling needs very different from other spaces in the house.

The 240 sq. ft. of the sun room might be only 10% of total floor space, but the room might need 20-30% of heating or cooling capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by klk View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to figure out if our HVAC unit can handle the addition of a room? We have an insulated sunroom that I would like to run a couple of ducts to (12x20).

Thank you in advance for any information.
    I tell everyone is to add the right number of supplies (do the ductwork correctly) and see how it goes before changing your equipment.
    That's the easiest way. The proof is in the pudding, as they say.
    I added a 2 story addition to my home, using the same equipment, and no problem.