+ Reply to Thread

Default Toilet flange level

My question is two-part. I am renovating a condo bathroom, and have removed the peel and stick tile, a layer of linoleum and a 1.5 inch leveler, gypcrete (sp?) layer down to the plywood. I removed the old one and the flange is above the plywood by an inch since it used to rest on the gypcrete. The plywood seems solid, the flange is screwed down into the subfloor with 4 large screws. There were two blocks of 1 inch wood beneath the toilet bolts under the flange, I think supporting the whole thing!

Should I add wood underneath the flange where ever possible for support and get my durock sheet as close to the flange as possible? Maybe extra mortar for support? In hind sight I would have left the gpycrete alone, but now have to plow ahead.

Any advice is appreicated! Thank you much!

Default Re: Toilet flange level

Quote Originally Posted by new@this View Post
    My question is two-part. I am renovating a condo bathroom, and have removed the peel and stick tile, a layer of linoleum and a 1.5 inch leveler, gypcrete (sp?) layer down to the plywood. I removed the old one and the flange is above the plywood by an inch since it used to rest on the gypcrete. The plywood seems solid, the flange is screwed down into the subfloor with 4 large screws. There were two blocks of 1 inch wood beneath the toilet bolts under the flange, I think supporting the whole thing!

Should I add wood underneath the flange where ever possible for support and get my durock sheet as close to the flange as possible? Maybe extra mortar for support? In hind sight I would have left the gpycrete alone, but now have to plow ahead.

It is important to have your flange very secure so when you set toilet it wont pull up from floor If you have support under and it is secure it should be okay to. But any additional support is always good

Quote Originally Posted by new@this View Post

For the most part the "blocks" are spacers to bring the flange up to the finish floor height.
    In this case you will be lowering the finish floor height by a fair amount. Figure out the new height ( the cement board plus finish material ), cut down the pipe and with new shims attach a new flange. Once that's completed , install the new flooring.

thank you for the advice! I am hoping that with mortar, durock, more mortar and ceramic tile we will be back at the old height for the toilet. The 4 screws that go from flange to sub floor are solid but rusted - I'd rather not cut the pvc or change flange heights, if possible.

I'm trying to attach 2 pics that say it better than I can. Can I leave the flange and screws in place and "build up" the area with mortar, or maybe quickcrete?

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	3389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	3390  

Fit a 2-pc filler in under the flange. Each pc will have a half-circle cut out to fit snugly to the flange. Remove the 4 screws before fitting the pieces in, and re-install them after, going thru the filler pieces and into the subfloor.

By the time you add Durock plus tile, the finish surface will be at a level that will not leave the flange too high.