+ Reply to Thread

Red face I want to remove wall

In order to remove the wall that separates my kitchen from my living room, what steps should I take? It's in an L shape, and I want an open room w/ an idland build, i think it will have more light and have a more welcoming feel.

How long do you think this project will take to knock it down? Any permits that I need to pull? Where can I get a copy of the blue prints to the home?

Default Re: I want to remove wall

While you're probably right about the aesthetics of opening the wall, you have to determine if the wall is bearing, supporting any loads from the upper level or roof, before you can begin to figure out what is required. You also need to find out if there are any utilities like plumbing running in the wall.

The part about whether it's a bearing wall and whether there are any utilities in the wall are the critical factors in this project. If it's bearing, you'll need to build a load bearing beam over the opening with adequate support on the ends. If not a bearing wall, you're good to go find out about the utilities.

If you have a water line, gas line, or plumbing vent in the wall, you'll need a plumber to come help, unless you're expert at plumbing. It could also mean cutting the floor, if it penetrates there.

If that's all good, next is electrical. You will probably (I'm guessing) have electrical wiring running through the wall where you want to cut it out. That needs to be re-routed. Not a big job but if you're not good at electrical wiring, hire someone who is. Electrical fires are not fun.

Now you're ready to tear out the wall. A Sawzall or reciprocating saw would make your job a lot easier. Should only take you a day to get the old wall out if there's none of the above "features" that you'll have to deal with. Beams and such may prolong it by a day or so, depending on the issue to be addressed.

Drywall repairs/patches will probably drag things out for another day or two. The work isn't hard but the mud takes time to dry.

You won't need a permit for this job. If you go to the City Building Dept, there may be a copy of the floor plans for the house still on file, from when they were submitted for the original permit. I'd be surprised if they weren't purged over the years though.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ma2804 View Post
    The part about whether it's a bearing wall and whether there are any utilities in the wall are the critical factors in this project. If it's bearing, you'll need to build a load bearing beam over the opening with adequate support on the ends. If not a bearing wall, you're good to go find out about the utilities.

If you have a water line, gas line, or plumbing vent in the wall, you'll need a plumber to come help, unless you're expert at plumbing. It could also mean cutting the floor, if it penetrates there.

If that's all good, next is electrical. You will probably (I'm guessing) have electrical wiring running through the wall where you want to cut it out. That needs to be re-routed. Not a big job but if you're not good at electrical wiring, hire someone who is. Electrical fires are not fun.

Now you're ready to tear out the wall. A Sawzall or reciprocating saw would make your job a lot easier. Should only take you a day to get the old wall out if there's none of the above "features" that you'll have to deal with. Beams and such may prolong it by a day or so, depending on the issue to be addressed.

Drywall repairs/patches will probably drag things out for another day or two. The work isn't hard but the mud takes time to dry.

You won't need a permit for this job. If you go to the City Building Dept, there may be a copy of the floor plans for the house still on file, from when they were submitted for the original permit. I'd be surprised if they weren't purged over the years though.

Good Luck.
    I would have to disagree with the statement of not needing permits

When it comes to structure .... especially if it turns out to be a load bearing wall very likely does require a permit and needs to have a certified load bearing support.

If there is plumbing ..... a permit is technically required.

Definately need a permit for routing electrical.

You should really check with the local building department as to what requirements there are when it comes to permits.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I have to agree with Canuk, in almost all jurisdictions structural changes, electrical work, and plumbing require permits. But the first thing that must be determined is if it is a bearing wall. If it is you will no doubt need to have a structural engineer determine the size of the header beam that is needed, order the beam, and have it on hand before the work begins. This alone can add weeks to the project.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb