+ Reply to Thread

Default Install Fiberglass Shower using Metal/Steel Studs

Hello,

I need to install a one piece fiberglass shower stall into a 3' x 3' wall pocket built of all steel studs. Will screwing through the fiberglass shower into the studs be enough to support the shower as it would with wood studs? Or should I replace the steel with wood studs? Or should I put some sort of backing in? If backing is the answer, what is the best way to do this with steel stud for the shower install?

Thanks,

Michael

Default Re: Install Fiberglass Shower using Metal/Steel Studs

The only drawback I see with steel studs is that they are not as stiff across their thickness as wood studs are (but they are more stiff & stable across their width). Since the wallboard on the opposite side and above the shower unit will provide the necessary rigidity, I think you should be fine just screwing the fiberglass flange to the steel studs.

You may need to install backing for the front vertical edge of the unit as well as the edge of the wallboard that meets this edge. What I'd do is place a steel stud so the face meets the flange and the wallboard (twisted 90 degrees in the wall) AND with that stud screwed to a stud installed the normal way to provide stiffness. In a wood wall you can usually get away with a single stud put the "flat" way since it's stiff enough, but a steel stud is too weak to do this.

As for the wallboard, I've seen it attached two ways. The first is to lay it over the shower stall flange. If this is done WITHOUT furring out the rest of the studs in that wall, you end up with a doo-wop in the wallboard there; it won't lie flat. The other way is for the wallboard to meet the flange but not overlap it; the flange is then covered with mud & tape to result in a flat wall all the way to the shower.

Be sure to use water-resistant wallboard above and beside the shower. I haven't tried it, but you can now get "paper-free" gypsum wallboard which is supposedly mold and mildew resistant.

One last point: the wall across from or next to the toilet must be PERFECT. Anyone sitting there has no place else to look; all flaws WILL be seen. And it'll bug you, if it's your house.

Default Re: Install Fiberglass Shower using Metal/Steel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by PlanBe View Post
    Hello,

I need to install a one piece fiberglass shower stall into a 3' x 3' wall pocket built of all steel studs. Will screwing through the fiberglass shower into the studs be enough to support the shower as it would with wood studs? Or should I replace the steel with wood studs? Or should I put some sort of backing in? If backing is the answer, what is the best way to do this with steel stud for the shower install?

Thanks,

Michael
    generally your interior metal studs will be 25 guage studs, so there will be more resistance on the screw going through the fiberglass then there will be the stud. so quite often the screw will strip out on the stud, or won't hold. to avoid this find the height that the shower is going to be and screw a 2x4 centered up on that height. the metal stud is shaped like a C you cut a 2x4 the same length that is the measurement at the floor or ceiling (because metal studs do bow measure where they are fastened in the track not in the middle of the wall) center the wood at the height that your fasteners will be starting at the side that will be the outside back of the metal stud screw it in place through the inside of the metal stud, then screw through the flange of the metal stud into the wooden stud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal stud blocking.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	1676