+ Reply to Thread

Default House Water Filters

Hi all. 1st post here.

I just watched Richard Trethewy install a whole house water filtration system. I must have missed somthing.
    He cut the line from the street into the house, then cut the line going into the house which I presumed just took a left and went to the water heater cold inlet side.

He said nothing about draining the water heater. How can he cut the line into the water heater with out pressurized water erupting from that line. That line from the street does go straight to the hot water heater cold inlet side doesn't it???

Default Re: House Water Filters

I didn't see the program but you should have a ball valve or some sort of shut off just before the water heater for both hot and cold. I'm sure he shut these off or at least the cold water going into the water heater

I do have a shut off valve, but I thought it was one line in from the street, thru the valve, and one line out to the water heater.

So if that valve was shut there would still be pressure on the water heater side. Guess I'll have to crawl under the house and see if there are additional lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Splitray View Post
    Hi all. 1st post here.

I just watched Richard Trethewy install a whole house water filtration system. I must have missed somthing.
    He cut the line from the street into the house, then cut the line going into the house which I presumed just took a left and went to the water heater cold inlet side.

He said nothing about draining the water heater. How can he cut the line into the water heater with out pressurized water erupting from that line. That line from the street does go straight to the hot water heater cold inlet side doesn't it???
    There wouldn't be a need to drain the tank.
    When you close the main water line shut off you have eliminated any further pressure aside from the pressure stored in the lines. You would then open any faucet which would then relieve that standing pressure.

I do have a shut off valve, but I thought it was one line in from the street, thru the valve, and one line out to the water heater.

So if that valve was shut there would still be pressure on the water heater side. Guess I'll have to crawl under the house and see if there are additional lines.
    In most cases there is a shut off valve located at least on the cold water supply to the tank. This allows servicing or replacing the tank without the need to shut off the water to the whole home.

I guess my main question is, if I disconnect the cold line in to the water heater, then place the filter system inline to the water heater, will this give me a "whole house" water filtration system?

Or will this just filter the cold water into the tank and ultimately only give me "filtered" hot water. In other words, does the normal cold water supply for the house even go through the water tank, or does it branch off at the shut off and then plumb to the rest of the house separately?

That's the only reason I can think that Rich tapped into the valve where he did. If I understand LeonardHomes correctly that is the case.
    Last edited by Splitray; 03-31-2010 at 11:34 PM.

I believe you want to shut the water off at the ball valve or shut off just after it comes into the house and cold water in at the water heater. This will stop any water from backflowing and make it easier to solder. The water Conditioner should go in at the Main supply between the water heater and the Main shutoff and it will condition both hot and cold.

OK, So "ALL" the cold water in the house does go through the water heater?

I was getting the impression that the cold water may not go through the hot water tank, but is actually separate plumbing.

So I could actually shut off the house inlet valve and pull the cold line right off the top of the water heater and install the filtration?

My issue is that the contractor buried my shut off in a closet with only the valve being visible. The plumbing is all in the wall.

I was getting the impression that the cold water may not go through the hot water tank, but is actually separate plumbing.

So I could actually shut off the house inlet valve and pull the cold line right off the top of the water heater and install the filtration?

My issue is that the contractor buried my shut off in a closet with only the valve being visible. The plumbing is all in the wall.
    You're kidding right?
    If you're trying to find out some information you have to stop and think for a minute, why and how would you think
    If that were the case then "ALL" the cold water would end up being hot water.The hotwater tank heats up cold water which is sent out the second piping coming out of the tank.

You're confusing yourself.

Yes , it's seperate plumbing to the water heater and the rest of the house.

All the water for the house comes from one source, the main cold water line. From there it gets branched off to different areas with one being the hotwater tank. Think of a tree , you have the main trunk with branches from there, it's the same idea with the cold water line in the home.

Find out where the main line can be accessed before it branches off anywhere and install the softener there.

Judging by you difficulty understanding how the plumbing works, you would probably be better off hiring someone to install it for you.

Default A different filter question...

We live in MI, where just about everyone has a softener due to the hardness.

My wife does not like the taste of the tap water due to the sodium left behind from the softener. I don't mind it, probably because I can't taste the salt.

Is there any sort of filter I can install that would eliminate the salty taste so that I don't have to buy bottled water for the wife?

Would an undersink reverse osmosis unit solve this? Or some cheaper sort of cannister filter inline between the softener and the house?

Names / product recommendations appreciated.

Thanks