+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Arborvitae Browning?

I planted about 20, 4' tall arborvitae, almost a month ago. All but one were completely green with no sign of brownage. Within the last week or so, nearly all of them have been turning brown, mainly on the interior of the plants. I was told by the greenhouse to only water them once a week, which is what i've been sticking to (except when it rained) any ideas?
    i attached a few pictures to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2319.JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	1673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2320.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2321.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	1675  

Default Re: Arborvitae Browning?

I would guess they dried out at some point. Once a week might be ok if you watered deeply, but the roots haven't had much chance to get established yet. They don't look terrible, so maybe it's just a little transplant shock. I hope you removed the burlap or at least pulled it away from the root ball.

There wasn't any burlap, they were in large pots. And none of the roots looked tangled up when i took them out. i usually water them for a fairly long time. both times when it rained, we got about 3 inches of rain.
    i'm in eastern PA, so it's starting to get a bit cooler now. i'm wondering if fertilizer would do more harm than good, since the plants are supposed to be slowing down for fall/winter.

I would agree with you about fertilizing now. You might force new tender growth that might get damaged. I would fertilize with an organic like espoma's hollytone or plantone around thanksgiving & then in the spring. The organic won't activate until the weather warms, but will work down to the roots & get started early helping the roots.

it looks like bagworm damage to me. the timing would be right for the movement time and new bags formation. the silk girdles the branches and causes them to brown and die back.

Smile Re: Arborvitae Browning?

Well, I spoke to one of the guys at the greenhouse where I purchased the plants. He said a little browning is normal during this time of the year. Apparently, all evergreens "shed" old growth. how much they shed, depends on how much they've grown and what the expected winter is going to be like.
    Since I didn't see any bagworm on the branches, I'm pretty confident that they'll turn green again in the spring. However, I am going to try some of the organic fertilizer around thanksgiving.

thanks

I suspect they have been planted too deeply. Check out http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx for correct planting methods.

Smile Re: Arborvitae Browning?

Hello 'Arborvitae Browning' It is simply the older leaves on the shrub browning and falling off as would a Maple or deciduous tree. People think that evergreens don't loose their leaves, but they do. White pines can make a mess in the Fall. Your plants look healthy and keep watering them if its dry out...until the ground freezes. Arbs. love water. Fertilizing lightly in the Spring with Miracle Gro is fine.