Default Endless hole behind tile

I am trying to replace an old ceramic towel bar that was originally installed in a tile wall in my 1950s bathroom. I've read through a few threads but I have a unique problem. When the right bracket fell out, it revealed that there's no sheetrock behind the tile in that spot. So I'm ready to reset the bracket with Thin Set Mortar, but it seems there's nothing to attach it to... in otherwords, it's a big black hole into nothing. I am not equipped (nor skilled enough) to start replacing tiles, etc.. I just want to find a way to put that bracket back in... Any advice? I'm very new at this.

Default Re: Endless hole behind tile

Not sure from the date of this post if you have solved the problem or not. If you did, I for one would like to hear what you did.

For me, what I would do would be to determine how much room is on the back side of the surrounding tiles, get a strip of thin wood that goes at least 3 inches to each side of the hole.

Use a good quality epoxy on the board and then vice it to the surrounding tile by placing a cross bar outside and screwing through the inside board.

Once dry and secure, fill with whatever is appropriate, possibly waterboard, then you're built up to the level of the rest of the tile to set the tile back in.

I am not a contractor or tile man, just a weekend warrior with a weird sense of approach to things.

Hope it helps.

Maverick

Maverick is right, gluing a backer to the backside of the wall will not only give you something to reset your tile to, it will provide reinforcement for the towel bar.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

A endless hole where is a good physicist when you need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    A endless hole where is a good physicist when you need one?
    Oh, wait, wait. No, just can't get it.

and I think you meant an Astrophysicist.
    Maverick
    Child Liaison
    BACA Brazos Valley

"The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results" ~ Albert Einstein

Hello all,

Thanks so much for your replies (and the nudge, Maverick). So here's what I did: I winged it. I cleaned out the area as best as I could and saw that there was a wooden beam just inside and to the right of the hole. So I applied as much thin set as I could around the hole and onto that beam and everywhere it would hold. I set the bar into the wad of thin set and propped it up with a piece of wood and tape until it was set. I really didn't do a proper job (your suggestions all make much more sense) but it is a temporary measure until I renovate that bathroom completely. So it seems to be holding, the bar is used for a towel that isn't used much but looks nice, and so far so good.

Thanks so much for the help. But (ok this is going to sound dumb...) how would I get a piece of wood back there if I did want to do it properly and secure it better? The hole is only 3x2 inches.

Am I misunderstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by tafmiller@mac.com View Post
    how would I get a piece of wood back there if I did want to do it properly and secure it better? The hole is only 3x2 inches
    Use a piece of 1x2 that is about 2 inches longer than the hole is wide. You shoehorn the piece in then apply glue to secure it to the back side of the wall. Drill a hole in the center of the piece beforehand or install an eye screw, this will give you a place to attach a wire and use a stretcher across the surface of the hole to hold the block in place while the glue dries.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs