+ Reply to Thread

Default Using minwax on new pine patio door

Am currently staining a new pine Andersen door and have come across two places which won't take stain. Have tried slight sanding to no avail. It almost seems as if the marks are not in the grain but rather on it. They're both round, about the size of a quarter, one on top of the other. Any suggestions to cover them before poly is applied?
    Many thanks,
    Denise

Cool Re: Using minwax on new pine patio door

It sounds like either the wood got bumped cuasing the grain to compress keeping the stain from penetrating or something was dripped onto the surface that has sealed those spots keeping the stain from penetrating.
    A trick I have learned, over 30 years of painting there are alot of them, is to tint a little of the polyeurathane you are going to use with some of the stain. Try to get some stain from the bottom of the can where the tint has settled to. You can mix it up on the underside of the lid from the stain can.
    Then get a q-tip and "faux" some color onto the spots. Since you know where they are, you will know but probably no one else will notice. Be sure you give it plenty of time to dry before sealing it. The tint will cause it to dry slower, so that will keep it from wiping off.

Wink Re: Using minwax on new pine patio door

Quote Originally Posted by retiredhappy View Post
    Am currently staining a new pine Andersen door and have come across two places which won't take stain. Have tried slight sanding to no avail. It almost seems as if the marks are not in the grain but rather on it. They're both round, about the size of a quarter, one on top of the other. Any suggestions to cover them before poly is applied?
    Many thanks,
    Denise
    jroper...
    Thanks alot...I'll try it!
    Denise
    Last edited by retiredhappy; 10-13-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Using minwax on new pine patio door

Hi retiredhappy,
    Please let me know the results! email:rhinoshieldatlanta@yahoo.com

Default Re: Using minwax on new pine patio door

Kinda sounds to me like a couple drops of something containing silicone or another type of oil may have fallen on the doors. This can happen at the factory or during shipping.

If so.....you *might* be able to remove the contamination with some lacquer thinner or xylol/xylene on a rag. Dab and blot it up. Repeat a few times and allow to dry for 30 minutes or so before trying to stain again.

Or....you may have luck by puddling a bit of the LT or xylol and allowing it to sit for a few minutes before blotting.