+ Reply to Thread

Thread: slab foundation

Default slab foundation

Hello,

My house is under construction and the builder is using Slab Foundation. I found they use spec ABC instead of river rock under the slab and there is no vapor barrier and wire mesh.

I am really concern about the quality of the house because it looks like the bulider is using the cheapest material and cheapest way to build the foundation.

Could anybody tell me if there is any problem in the way my builder is using for the foundation? Can they use slab foundation ( I think postintension should be stronger)? Can they use spec ABc for residence house foundation? Can they build a slab foundation without vapor barrier and wire mesh?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: slab foundation

Things like a vapor barrier is a good idea to prevent moisture wicking up. As for your other questions that would depend on what was specified on the drawings and what your local building codes dictate.

Do you know the formula of calculating how many tons of ABC should be used on certain area ( length x width)? Thanks.

Do you have a contract that specifies any of these things ?
    Around here , vapor barrier and mesh/rebar is always done .

The contract dosn't specify those.

The contractor told me that the vapor barrier and mesh are not in Spec. That confused me. The builder can use a different spec for slab foundation? Or there is a standard spec/rule that bulider must follow?

You said the vapor barrier and mesh are always done in your area. where are you? I am in Phoenix, AZ. Thanks.

South Louisiana . VERY humid . Lot's of rain . Different soil type than your area , but I would still have a vapor barrier and mesh . That's just me . You need to check with other builders , architects , etc . in your area .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    South Louisiana . VERY humid . Lot's of rain . Different soil type than your area , but I would still have a vapor barrier and mesh . That's just me . You need to check with other builders , architects , etc . in your area .
    Actually, I would say the building department would be the place to verify the slab requirements of the area. There also should have been a pre-pour inspection to make sure all the requirements were met before the concrete arrived. Check your permit to see if it was inspected and signed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!