+ Reply to Thread

Default simpson ds-1 drywall ties

Howdy stumbled onto Simpson DS-1 ties which you install instead of blocking for hanging drywall. Has anyone used them? Seems like a great way to go but unfortunately no idea how to use them- does once dab mastic onto them to help secure the rock? If used in ceiling does the wall rock then support the ceiling since nothing to fasten the cewiling to since no blocking?

Default Re: simpson ds-1 drywall ties

they fasten to your top plate with prongs that go into the wood, then your ceiling drywall goes into them. there are a few different types of these clips made by different manufactures. some you simply slide the drywall into and the clip holds it and some you screw through the drywall into the clip. but the clip is held up there by being driven into the top plate of the wall or in a corner. they work ok no real problem with them, but I myself prefer to have the carpenter do the blocking as they are supposed to.

I usually walk the house a couple of days before we hang it while the carpenter is still there and point out where blocking is missing so we don't have that problem.
    but I do keep several hundred of these types of clips on hand so if we do need them we don't have to hunt up wood or a nail gun.

Howdy havanagranite, thanks for the info. I am renovating a grand 106 year old home use to have lath and plaster walls so several corners with 10' walls that have only one 2by6 stud ( no stud on the adjoining wall)so these clips would be a great help. looked at the Simpson strong tie catalog and to use them in the ceiling appears the drywall would not slide into them but abutt up to the clip? So i emailed the Simpson people as their photo did not help me any with the instillation. will update when hear back from Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    they fasten to your top plate with prongs that go into the wood, then your ceiling drywall goes into them. there are a few different types of these clips made by different manufactures. some you simply slide the drywall into and the clip holds it and some you screw through the drywall into the clip. but the clip is held up there by being driven into the top plate of the wall or in a corner. they work ok no real problem with them, but I myself prefer to have the carpenter do the blocking as they are supposed to.

I usually walk the house a couple of days before we hang it while the carpenter is still there and point out where blocking is missing so we don't have that problem.
    but I do keep several hundred of these types of clips on hand so if we do need them we don't have to hunt up wood or a nail gun.

Howdy havanagranite, called Simpson and they told me theses DS-I are stops only. The drywall ceilings simply is stopped from moving up with the wall rock holding up the ceiling drywall. I think i will just use wood blocking for the piece of mind that screwing the rock into the blocking gives.

I agree with your dicision to put in blocking. having just a stop requiring the other board to hold it in place, just sounds like cracked corners to me.