+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What comes first tile or trim????

Quote Originally Posted by brendog View Post
    Well, as you might have guessed, it's an open-bid where he charges by the hour. He did some rough carpentry for me including framing for a shower and replacing a window, and now I have hired him back to do the finished carpentry and the same arrangement is in place. My suspicion is that this might "stretch" the schedule and therefore stretch his bill.
    Sounds to me either he does it the proper way .... your way .... or look for someone else that's prepared to quote you on doing it better.

Just my 2 cents.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I think that someone is milking a job to make more money.

My two cents worth is that it's the customer's home, money, and tastes that dictate how work is done - assuming that proper practices and codes are also being followed. The carpenter in question seems more worried about what he's making than providing the best possible work for the client. What he doesn't realize is that extra penny today has cost him repeat business and word of mouth advertising. From the sounds of it his work is a bit questionable anyway. If you continue on with this person I recommend that you demand it be done to your specification, if he balks - send him on his way. If he doesn't do the work as agreed, don't pay until it's corrected. You've got much better things to do than fight with someone who has no intentions of providing what you want.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

just one more thought. from a home owners perspective. I would try to have every thing lined up of what you expect from each person and the price for what they are going to do. I would stay away from an hourly rate, it seldom will work to your favor. its amazing how much faster a guy will work when he knows he will make the same amount regardless if it takes 2 days or 3. I understand some worry about the quality and think that if they pay by the hour that it will improve quality by them not having to hurry. but you will find if you check references good, look at samples of work they have turned out, that most reputable contractors would rather work piece rate rather then hourly.

I agree with everyone here. The carpenter should be doing things the way you want and not the way he wants.

the right way is to have your waterproof floor under the toilet and vanity and anything installed except for the shower pan or tub. You want it under the door casing also. if you have wall tile then don't use wood baseboard use sanitary tile base. You also want to have your threshold transition fitted and in after the floor is done and before your door casing is installed on the bathroom side.

rennovators often cheat by leaving existing vanity and toilet in place and putting another layer down, it is not right.

if there is water on the floor you do not want it running into the wall cavities or down around the outside of the toilet flange and stuff carrying filth and contamination in those areas, it is a toilet and bath room! if you tile around a vanity then water on the floor will seep down under the vanity and to the sub floor (Yuk!). Also remember it is more common to replace vanity and you'll never find another years later that will fit the exact footprint of the one you install now which would require you to rip out the old floor and replace it.

Your tile guy is right, get a new finish carpenter or handyman. who knows mabe your tile guy can do the finish trim in the bathroom himself, they often install vanities as well as the other plumbing fixtures.

tile floors and grout, then window casing and door casing and install vanity carcass, then vanity top prep and install, then wall tile and sanitary base or baseboard. Then final fixture connections.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 10-08-2008 at 10:12 AM.