+ Reply to Thread

Default Laundry drain backing up

There didn't seem to be a thread for laundry drains so I'm assumning this is the right place.

WHen I run my washing machine, water is coming back out of the hose that drains into a pipe.

This has happened in the past and to solve it I usually have to have rotorooter come out and snake out the pipes out to the street. THey never believe me that the "clog" is way out by the street but eventually discover that I'm right. I assume these are tree roots and this has happened 2-3 times in the 17 years I have owned the house. However, I seem to recall that there is a do-it-yourself solution. I've heard of several things such as Pool chlorine and salt (the type to melt snow). However, nobody has said how to use this. Are these proven solutions and how do you use them? Or, what can I do without calling rotorooter? (disclaimer--I am a woman and not very handy).

I have an old house and live in the city so it is city water/sewer.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

esskay77

Default Re: Laundry drain backing up

You must be experiencing other draining issues than just the laundry drain. Roots in the main shouldn't affect just that one laundry drain pipe. It may be possible there are other issues with the drain lines in the home.

For dealing with roots the most effective way I know is to remove the tree.I don't know about the pool chlorine and salt idea since salt ( NACL)is sodium-chloride and i don't know if it would be a good idea to have this corrosive solution sitting in cast iron pipes.