+ Reply to Thread

Default Antique exterior sidelightsGood morning! We have a 200+ year old Federal Colonial hom

Good morning! We have a 200+ year old Federal Colonial home. We've recently had to do some work on the front entrance. We've replaced the door and are repairing some of the exterior trim. However, when we removed the glass from the sidelights, the exterior horizontal 'frames' that surrounds the glass pieces has broken off. The frames are such small pieces of wood that we're not sure how to rebuild them to re-install the glass. Any ideas?

Default Re: Antique exterior sidelightsGood morning! We have a 200+ year old Federal Colonial

Hi dkocot,

I am very interested to read your post, as I have a Federal style home as well. I am not exactly sure, but I think my home was built somewhere around 1820 to 1840. Can you post some pictures of your place?

With regard to your question, I would get a sample of the frame in question, clean it or strip it (if it has a great deal of paint on it), and take a good look at the profile. From there, contact some window shops or restoration spe******ts and see if they have the profile you need. Worst case, you could get a knife cut for a molder, but it is expensive for just a small repair piece.

Good luck and please keep posting.

Phil

Default Re: Antique exterior sidelightsGood morning! We have a 200+ year old Federal Colonial

Quote Originally Posted by dkocot View Post
    Good morning! We have a 200+ year old Federal Colonial home. We've recently had to do some work on the front entrance. We've replaced the door and are repairing some of the exterior trim. However, when we removed the glass from the sidelights, the exterior horizontal 'frames' that surrounds the glass pieces has broken off. The frames are such small pieces of wood that we're not sure how to rebuild them to re-install the glass. Any ideas?
    I'm not sure if you are referring to the stops, the muttons, or wood glazing. If it is the routed stops that are part of the main frame, a new frame can be made or the stops routed off and new stops installed. If you are referring to muttons, you can have new muttons made and installed. Both these parts can be made by a competent wood worker with a router table. Different styles of wood glazing can be made by most wood workers and similar styles can be purchased at most lumber yards that carry trim. Perhaps if you could post pictures we could be more definitive.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb