+ Reply to Thread

Default Boiler Overpressuring 3x daily

Hopefully someone can give me some tips on what else to check... My boiler (which heats my hot water and supplies hot water for my baseboard heaters) is overpressuring 3 or more times daily. I have a plumber scheduled for later this week but need some ideas on what to expect. Here's the status so far:

Overflow tank is drained 3x daily with valve from boiler to overflow shut off everytime I drain it.

Water source to boiler (but not for hot water that circulates) is shut off(!) - originally though auto-refresh valve was faulty

Boiler re-pressurizes within 5 hours even with water source shut off.

Question: can anyone give me ideas on what might be wrong? Might my coils have sprung a leak inside the boiler? Any other things that could have gone wrong?

Thanks for any ideas you have!

B
    Last edited by bhaney; 06-04-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Default Re: Boiler Overpressuring 3x daily

Update: Turns out I have a leaky coil and need to replace it. Can anyone give me any guidelines around fix versus replace?

Quote Originally Posted by bhaney View Post
    Update: Turns out I have a leaky coil and need to replace it. Can anyone give me any guidelines around fix versus replace?
    My two cents is replace the coil. If the unit leaks in one certain spot, who is to say it will not do the same thing inches away from fix number one.

Is this an electric or gas fired boiler? Copper tubes or electric heating element? Also, check the pressure controller, does it have tubing to it or is the sensor insulated with scale or calcium build up?