+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulation

Default Insulation

I hope I can describe my problem correctly. I have a split entry style home. We purchased it about 6 years ago and the feature that we loved the most about it was the fact that the previous owner had put an addition on to the house. It's a nice 16 X 20 (approx) room with cathedral ceilings. To get into the new addition, we walk through a set of french doors. Above the french doors in the new addition is a small (I call it) storage door. If you open that door and look in, you are seeing the roof of the existing house. (Under the roof has a lot of insulation) Now on that wall I want to put some insulation (The wall between the new addition and where the roof is.) My question is, what type of insulation should I use? (2X4 Walls) and should I put insulation on the roof line?

6 inch paper backed insulation? If I use this, how do I put the paper back side towards the heated space as the room is finished?

A couple of layers of rigid foam insulation?

Or, should I have someone come in and blow in some insulation?

(A side note: We do use that small space for a little bit of storage, so I am only looking to do the wall and the door itself.

I have attached (hopefully) a picture of the area in question.
    Thanks so much for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1983_1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	1667  
    Last edited by Pauley; 10-07-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Default Re: Insulation

***, no answers.... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
    ***, no answers.... oh well.
    you've had this sitting for six years, supplied little info and posted a very scary photo, patience!

Are those 1x's(split at the top!) and 2x for the knee wall studs on the flat??!!!! not even right for a partition! 2x4"s for the roof supports?!?!?!?

the far wall above the old roofing tiles is that exterior (with the ball of stuffed fiberglass)? is the old roof underside ventillated (how?) as well as insulated? why was the old roofing left? that's a moisture and vapor barrier and you have huge potential to mold and rot in this cavity! is that OSB the addition transition roof decking? its not insulated? how is the addition cathedral ceiling/roof insulated? what's the story on ventillation? where in the WORLD are you located? (climate temperature region)!
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 10-09-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Ya gotta understand. We have a member here who has been banned multiple times but like a fly to a piece of fecal matter keeps coming back under multiple names………… She is “chicken little” and the sky is always falling

If I could afford it I’d spray foam it. If not just staple/tape bats in place.

You’re right, you are losing a ton of heat off the vaulted ceiling there.

I would not worry about which way the paper faces.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Ya gotta understand. We have a member here who has been banned multiple times but like a fly to a piece of fecal matter keeps coming back under multiple names………… She is “chicken little” and the sky is always falling

now this is a good post. straight to the point.

"just the facts maam, just the facts"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    you've had this sitting for six years, supplied little info and posted a very scary photo, patience!

Are those 1x's(split at the top!) and 2x for the knee wall studs on the flat??!!!! not even right for a partition! 2x4"s for the roof supports?!?!?!?

the far wall above the old roofing tiles is that exterior (with the ball of stuffed fiberglass)? is the old roof underside ventillated (how?) as well as insulated? why was the old roofing left? that's a moisture and vapor barrier and you have huge potential to mold and rot in this cavity! is that OSB the addition transition roof decking? its not insulated? how is the addition cathedral ceiling/roof insulated? what's the story on ventillation? where in the WORLD are you located? (climate temperature region)!

What other info should I post? I'm (obviously) not a contractor. This has not given me any problems in the past, however last year I had a lot of water damage in that room due to ice dams. I figured this was part of the ice dam problem and wanted to know how to correctly install the insulation.

As for a scarey photo? That's a photo of the area in question...

The walls are 2x4 construction and the roof is a 2x6 construction.

Yes, that is insulation you see stuffed against an exterior roof line.

I don't know why the old roof was left behind. I'm sure they took the easy way out. The old roof is insulated on the underside. The roof is ventilated. I have a gable vent, vents on the eaves and also has a ridge vent.

OSB is the transition on the roof. I assume it's not insulated because the old roof has insulation.

The addition's roof/ceiling is insulation (from what I could see) with regular fiberglass insulation.

I live in New Hampshire USA. I'm a disabled vet and try to do what I can. If I can't afford to do some of these repairs (and there are a lot of them) they just don't get done. The fixed income thing is tough to live with.

Sorry I "scared" you with the photo... ity's only an attic space.
    Last edited by Pauley; 10-15-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post

Well, I have insulated the area in question. Did I do it correctly?? Probably not, but (not trying to start anything here) where I could not find an answer to my question, I did it the way I thought was correct.

I used a insulating panel (it is 2 inches thick and has an R value of 13) I cut the panel and placed it between each 2x4 all along the wall (with the 2x4 on the flat). I took a couple of cans of spray foam insulation and filled all the little cracks I could find.

I thought of hiring someone to blow in the insulation, but money is an extreme factor with me.

Like I mentioned, did I do it right? Probably not.... I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
    Above the french doors in the new addition is a small (I call it) storage door. If you open that door and look in, you are seeing the roof of the existing house. (Under the roof has a lot of insulation) Now on that wall I want to put some insulation (The wall between the new addition and where the roof is.)

I have a gable vent, vents on the eaves and also has a ridge vent.

Well, I have insulated the area in question. Did I do it correctly?? Probably not, but (not trying to start anything here) where I could not find an answer to my question, I did it the way I thought was correct.

I used a insulating panel (it is 2 inches thick and has an R value of 13) I cut the panel and placed it between each 2x4 all along the wall (with the 2x4 on the flat). I took a couple of cans of spray foam insulation and filled all the little cracks I could find.

Pauley .... sounds about right.
    The only thing I would add ..... since you applied the rigid foam to the space between the studs it would also be advantageous to apply the foam sheets covering the studs .... much like applying drywall. This will give a continious thermo break and improve the R value. use the cans of foam to fill the gaps along the edges much like you did before.

Also apply a layer or two of the insulation to the back side of the access door ....... to ensure a nice tight air seal apply some weather stripping to the access door frame.

One thing I'm unclear about .... if there is a gable and/or soffit venting for this area.
    If so then then it will be just that one wall between the living space and this cold storage area that will be insulated .

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Pauley .... sounds about right.
    The only thing I would add ..... since you applied the rigid foam to the space between the studs it would also be advantageous to apply the foam sheets covering the studs .... much like applying drywall. This will give a continious thermo break and improve the R value. use the cans of foam to fill the gaps along the edges much like you did before.

Also apply a layer or two of the insulation to the back side of the access door ....... to ensure a nice tight air seal apply some weather stripping to the access door frame.

One thing I'm unclear about .... if there is a gable and/or soffit venting for this area.
    If so then then it will be just that one wall between the living space and this cold storage area that will be insulated .

2 cents worth.
    Thanks. I will add the extra insulation once I can get some more. I do have one other question, if I may. In the photo I posted, you'll see some insulation "stuffed" in one end of the area in question. That part is where the valley is between the two areas. It is also the area where the ice dam problem came from. Should I insulate that more?

There is soffet venting for the addition part of the house. The rest of the house has gable; soffet and ridge venting.

I appreciate all the replies I have gotten.
    Last edited by Pauley; 10-15-2008 at 12:05 PM.

That part is where the valley is between the two areas. It is also the area where the ice dam problem came from. Should I insulate that more?
    If an ice damn occurs it is an indication enough warm air or radiant heat from the interior is reaching the underside of the roof.
    More than likely this is from the existing part of the house. You might be able to correct this from the old attic as well as the new attic.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush