+ Reply to Thread

Question What are these doors for?

I have been slowly helping my sister fix up her home which was our family's home as we were growing up. It was built in 1949.
    My question concerns two metals door that are a part of the block basement. They are each about 15" wide and 8" high, made of metal and about 2-3 feet apart from one another. They are about 15" above the floor of the basement and are on the wall currently closest to her furnace.
    They are allowing water to leak into the basement when there is a lot of rain and we either need to get rid of them and fix the wall behind them or somehow seal them, although there is a gap about 1/2" around the doors where the water is leaking in.
    Anyone know anything about them? What would they have been used for?

Default Re: What are these doors for?

The only thing that I recall being similar was a coal hooper/shute. The actual shute was located outside the foundation and he doors were to let in the coal from the hopper/shute outside.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I'm guessing these are chimney cleanouts, at the base of each flue. (You have two flues, I presume?) If you're getting water running out of there, then you probably need to install a proper chimney cap.

You might want to have your chimney cleaned and inspected, to make sure that it's not leaking into the living space. Not only can this be a serious health risk, it can also be a fire hazard.

Chimneys should be cleaned at least once a year, more often if you use a wood stove.

they both could be right! One might be a cleanout ash dump for the old coal furnace and the other could be for the coal Chute where the coal man opened the door and it slid down a chute to the bin now removed.

We had one growing up.

It was a chimneny cleanout on ours as we never had coal. Originally we had an oil furnace, when they converted to gas they put in a ceramic chimney pipe and the door became obsolete.